USE bars advice

RobbieA

Retro Guru
I have some USE bars - the ones that you can attach the USE bars to - but want to use different bar ends (mainly because I don't have the USE bar ends!)

Has anyone done this, safely, as the ends of the bars are drilled and I was wondering if the clamps on a standard set of bar ends would crush the bars?

Cheers, Rob

I can't see it being an issue unless you overtighten - the hole is only on one side and reasonably small/inboard.

I've got the bars/ends - not sure I'd like to ride them in anger as the fixing must put strain on the hole.

I can't see it being an issue unless you overtighten - the hole is only on one side and reasonably small/inboard.

I've got the bars/ends - not sure I'd like to ride them in anger as the fixing must put strain on the hole.
Well, I looked at them and did wonder how robust the unit would be! I'm not heavy or a manic rider, so here's hoping 30yr old bling will look good and hold strong!

Should be fine, they are thin bars though so be gentle. If you needed blue USE bar ends I will be listing a set soon :)

You could always use the bar ends with the wedge for inside the bars, sort of like the ones below.

111111.jpg

Could always see if you could get a local machine shop to make you up a solid bung from a bit of aluminium to a reasonably tight fit to prevent compression. Could glue/bond it into the end of the bar, or even use the existing bar end mounting hole to pop a bevelled bolt through - which would still allow for the bar-end to be fitted...?

Definitely wouldn't hurt having a bit of support inside the bars.

Back