Upgrading VAR Headset press tool! DR-03400 & DR-03500 DR-03520

Rank_21

Retro Guru
Possibly a very useless post but could help someone. I bought this headset press in a bundle of tools about 4-5 years ago. It became a useless tool as the press or rather, the bushing adapters were made for 1 inch headset cups only (Likely from the 70-80’s). Been using a threaded rod with some washers etc for 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 headset cups. Bit faffy if I’m honest using this method, it works, just unenjoyable. Anyway…whilst sorting out all the c » »p at my place, I decided to do something with this. Turns out, their new bushing adapters for the DR-03500 has the same spindle diameter. I priced matched Bike-components with another Austrian site making this a viable purchase. 🙃 . image.jpg

Thinking now, some ugrades. Sealed bearings at the top like the newer headset presses. Oh and something that holds the bushing adapter clip holder thing. Possibly a magnet with a hooking part could be cheap but then that’ll stick to other metal things. Hmmmm 🧐 handles obviously, wouldn’t want my idle soft hands to hurt. Spray paint the top while I’m at it.

Intersting, I had wanted to do something similar. I had seen listed for sale an entire stepped adapter assembly that included bearings. I keep hesitating because it's $85 US and not 100% sure it fits.

Intersting, I had wanted to do something similar. I had seen listed for sale an entire stepped adapter assembly that included bearings. I keep hesitating because it's $85 US and not 100% sure it fits.
Do you mean wether that quick release var part fits? Well I got this press very cheap, practically free so it was worth it, compared to buying another. The ID is 2cm if I remember. Cheaper ones tend to be just a threaded rod with handles which for me wasn‘t a step up from the DIY I had been using.

Back