Upgrade freehub FH-HG20 body from 7 to 8 speed

afalconr

Retro Newbie
Hello, I have a 200GS system on a Giant Hard Line 7200. Bought some Altus components, like rear derailleur and cassette cs-hg31-8 and I'm planning to upgrade the freehub body from 7 to 8 speed. Do you know how can I proceed for this? Any ideas where to look up to it?

You’d need to re-dish the wheel and get spacers / cones / freehub retaining bolt to match the new freehub. A lot of faff really. IMHO I’d just buy another 8 speed wheel.

I swapped an STX hub from a 7 speed to an 8 speed freehub. The new freehub was an LX one. I think the dishing was ok, but I had to modify some of the spacers on the axle.

I swapped an STX hub from a 7 speed to an 8 speed freehub. The new freehub was an LX one. I think the dishing was ok, but I had to modify some of the spacers on the axle.
I also have a STX groupset on a Merida Redskins but in this case everything is working OK for commuting, so no need for changing components for now. Thanks for the advise. The 200GS might need the same modifications as you described.

Take cassette off

drink beer

Take axle off

drink more beer

Remove freehub body with long 10mm allen key

drink some more beer

Re-fit 8spd freehub body

drink even more beer

Re-fit axle to suit frame by adjusting spacers

drink beer, eat snacks

Check rim alignment and re-dish to suit

celebrate by drinking beer