UK buyer shipping frame/forks from USA

SavagePower

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys, I've just bought a frame/forks in the USA and need it shipping to the UK, any suggestions?

Not in a rush so ether air or ship transport to UK is fine. My mates has collected it and its boxed up:

Dimensions:
If it were a complete rectangle the measurements would be: 42"x24"x8".
(Actual:If you want exactly as it's cut: 42" across the bottom, 18" across the top at 24" height, then cut, angling down to 12" high at the front edge.)

Weight:
Total box= 16.7lbs.

Help appreciated. Thank you :cool:

PS: The bike's a 1993 model so mods, that's why its in here ;)

Re:

If the package is 42x24x18 then it is too big to ship by USPS and you will have to pay a fortune, $500 plus to ship by private carrier. If however it is closer to the 42x24x8 dimension then it can ship by the post office for $130. Since you are shipping a frame only I would imangine that it could fit in a box that is closer to the eight inch mark.

Re: Re:

lewisfoto":1okppfah said:
If the package is 42x24x18 then it is too big to ship by USPS and you will have to pay a fortune, $500 plus to ship by private carrier. If however it is closer to the 42x24x8 dimension then it can ship by the post office for $130. Since you are shipping a frame only I would imangine that it could fit in a box that is closer to the eight inch mark.

The seller made a mistake with the measurements, its 8 not 18 so;

42"x24"x8" but the box is cut to the shape of the frame as this is it:

image.jpg

Do you suggest USPS then mate as you're in Cali? My mates is in Chicago.

Cheers for the advice and help :D

USPS is the cheapest by far, and the workers at the post office are pretty helpful in my experience. (though others may disagree) Tell your mate to take it in for an estimate, also mark "gift" on the customs form.

lewisfoto":3w44e7s3 said:
USPS is the cheapest by far, and the workers at the post office are pretty helpful in my experience. (though others may disagree) Tell your mate to take it in for an estimate, also mark "gift" on the customs form.

Cheers for the advice mate

Re:

I know someone 'wink wink' who asked a seller to mark the customs declaration as a 'Bicycle frame for repair' with a value of $80. Worked a treat, minimal charges at this end.

Have also ordered expensive $1,000+ electronics from the USA. The seller put a couple of loose small bolts in the casing so it rattled. Also marked as 'not-working'.

Re: Re:

REKIBorter":2hi2dr86 said:
I know someone 'wink wink' who asked a seller to mark the customs declaration as a 'Bicycle frame for repair' with a value of $80. Worked a treat, minimal charges at this end.

Have also ordered expensive $1,000+ electronics from the USA. The seller put a couple of loose small bolts in the casing so it rattled. Also marked as 'not-working'.

Thanks for the advice, well it is an early frame model 1993 Marin Titanium FRS frame and suss rear end with some weird specialized suspension forks with rock shox stickers at the top (bizarre) so to be fair it does need rejuvenating which some would call a repair.

Re:

The 'not working' route might be best, as I shipped my Yo in which was cunningly (or so I thought) marked as gift, then I was still stung for customs / import charges.

Back