Shipping frame USA ---> UK

klasse

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Been so long since I've sent anything to the UK. Has anything substantially changed? I'm going to be dropping a frame and some bits over here in a few months time, just wondering if/how things may have changed over the past five years. It used to cost around $70 USD to ship a frame, never had an issue with customs.

So I just checked for fun, it costs $106 USD to ship a box 38" x 24" x 8" weighing 12lbs.
Looks like prices have gone up slightly. They have certainly increased within the USA.

Looks about right...I got a bike box that kind of size from Florida to the UK via FedEx recently for $97.
Weight is pretty irrelevant with stuff in boxes this size, they are usually 'volumised' up to around 60kg/m3, which is pretty heavy.

All the best,

Been so long since I've sent anything to the UK. Has anything substantially changed? I'm going to be dropping a frame and some bits over here in a few months time, just wondering if/how things may have changed over the past five years. It used to cost around $70 USD to ship a frame, never had an issue with customs.

So I just checked for fun, it costs $106 USD to ship a box 38" x 24" x 8" weighing 12lbs.
Looks like prices have gone up slightly. They have certainly increased within the USA.
Wow. What service did you use? And how much was the Duty? To send a Frame and Fork Form WA to UK in a 28 x 9 x 41 box at 17 lbs, Bikeflights quoted me $281 shipping fee and a $436 in Duties...does that sound right? Or am I being ripped off...I'm a total newbie to international shipping...never done it before. Any guidance / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

Looks about right...I got a bike box that kind of size from Florida to the UK via FedEx recently for $97.
Weight is pretty irrelevant with stuff in boxes this size, they are usually 'volumised' up to around 60kg/m3, which is pretty heavy.

All the best,
Wow. What service did you use? And how much was the Duty? To send a Frame and Fork Form WA to UK in a 28 x 9 x 41 box at 17 lbs, Bikeflights quoted me $281 shipping fee and a $436 in Duties...does that sound right? Or am I being ripped off...I'm a total newbie to international shipping...never done it before. Any guidance / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

Thx!
Ive had the same experience, bikeflights are not for me personally although I know some people have good experiances with them :D

Wow. What service did you use? And how much was the Duty? To send a Frame and Fork Form WA to UK in a 28 x 9 x 41 box at 17 lbs, Bikeflights quoted me $281 shipping fee and a $436 in Duties...does that soun

d right? Or am I being ripped off...I'm a total newbie to international shipping...never done it before. Any guidance / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

Ive had the same experience, bikeflights are not for me personally although I know some people have good experiances with them :D

For International, you want to generate your label on USPS.com - the private carriers (which partner with BikeFlights and ShipBikes) are considerably more expensive. You want to make sure you get it in a small enough box under 108" (that's inches), then you will ship it Priority Mail International. The duty may be more/less depending on declared value. Shipping a frame + parts is quite feasible by USPS.com However, shipping a full bike including wheels most likely exceeds that 108" threshold.

Back