U.G.L.I Ti nut problem

Re: Re:

ishaw":3ih00azv said:
Some ti tubes are seamed and welded. I have a frame that has cracked along a seam in the chain stay sadly.
Steel too.
Tange Infinity in Orange Clockworks for example.

Thanks for the infos.
I thought they'd make the seam look... seamless somehow :oops:
Anyway, any tip to tell wether i'm dealing with a crack in this case ?
Thanks again

Zanoli":22bzqlzu said:
Thanks for the infos.
Thanks again

As others have said, seam welded... most noticeable in their straight Ti bars... I believe this is why all their M-Trax and Dynas were painted on the main tubes even though Ti, to make them look tidier. Not sure how exactly you'd check if its a crack, tap test to see if the sound of tap changes? Microscope, X-Ray (not practical)... another way might be to fit them, lock up front brakes and rock back/fwds and get someone you live with to watch for movement or opening/closing of said possible crack? Personally i'd say not cracked but don't hold me to that, BTW don't go mad with the sanding as they are likely VERY thin gauge tubes and you don't want to be removing too much material.

TOMAS":3ga5qwac said:
Zanoli":3ga5qwac said:
Thanks for the infos.
Thanks again

As others have said, seam welded... most noticeable in their straight Ti bars... I believe this is why all their M-Trax and Dynas were painted on the main tubes even though Ti, to make them look tidier. Not sure how exactly you'd check if its a crack, tap test to see if the sound of tap changes? Microscope, X-Ray (not practical)... another way might be to fit them, lock up front brakes and rock back/fwds and get someone you live with to watch for movement or opening/closing of said possible crack? Personally i'd say not cracked but don't hold me to that, BTW don't go mad with the sanding as they are likely VERY thin gauge tubes and you don't want to be removing too much material.

Thanks Tomas. Your guess about their titanium painting makes sense to me. Will try what you suggest. Thanks again.

Back