Thomson post weightweenie-ism instructable

Frankenorange

Orange 🍊 Fan
My goal was to improve some squeaking issues but I quickly realised i was dropping weight and this info will be of interest to anyone who is gram chasing. The finished Elite post will be lighter than the equivalent Masterpiece. If done on the latter of course you will make that lighter than standard.

Anyway.....

Thomson make two aluminium posts. One is the Elite and the other is the Masterpiece and both come in straight, or setback. The latter can also be used as set forward and is approved, for that use, by Thomson.

The Masterpiece is about 40 grams lighter than the Elite but costs ALOT more new and there are few around 2nd hand. You can, however, make your Elite post, of whuch there are many about 2nd hand, weigh less than the equivalent size and length Masterpiece by doing the following mods. You may also stop some squeaking!

Replace the standard bolts with the titanium bolts as used on Exotic posts. The same are used on other posts but the important thing is that the allen head is fully rounded. These ti bolts will fit into the standard Thomson washers and will work better with these washers, than the standard bolts, as the part radius under the head of the standard bolt doesn't match the radius in the washer very well. Possible cause of squeaks.

Replace the upper clamp parts with round yokes that come off a 3T Dorica post. Round yokes must be used, with this mod, as the bolts come at the saddle rail at an angle that wont make for a good fit between a flat yoke and the saddle rail. Using these round yokes also allows the saddle to be rammed more forward, than the standard clamp system allows, if you need to.
The same 3T yokes are on other posts and are chunky. Do not use the cheap round yokes that are plentiful on ebay as they are too slim and will bend/snap. They are lighter but will probably fail.

Replace the bottom clamp with the bottom clamp found on an old retro USE in-line post. You will have to take a large half round file to the seatpost as the radius of the USE halfpipe clamp is smaller than what has been machined into the Thomson post. It isn't much to file out and the post alloy files really well. Just check the fit by holding the parts together and seeing where light is visible. You can also marker pen the radius in the post and rotate the halfpipe in the post to find the high/low points. Just make sure you file both sides the same or the saddle will tilt to one side!
This area of the Thomson post is a potential cause if squeaks as the standard bottom clamp can have a radius that is actually slightly larger than that machined into the post. Hold the post up to the light and check how the clamp fits and you might see what i mean. It is really naff and maybe something that happened during a few batches but i have two like it and i have only bought two posts!

Chop off any excess post but make sure you leave enough below the top tube junction, to be safe, and a bit for any future saddle changes i.e post will need to go up if you go from a padded saddle to a naked carbon saddle, for example. So leave 10-20mm.

IMPORTANT:

chop off any excess bolt that is sticking up out of the yoke. Leave about 10mm, but get rid of the rest to create as much air as possible between the saddle base and the top of the bolts.
The reason for this is two fold. The first is that the saddle flexes and in the perfect storm could punch through a carbon saddle. That will hurt. The other reason is a tougher saddle base can push down on the top of the bolt and as the yokes are being used there is the possibility that the yoke could snap.

I have done all of the above and it has worked for many, many, miles. I selected the right parts and engineered it well. I am not responsible for modifications you do, or the result you have from those mods.

If the post is only for use in the summer. then drill holes at regular intervals through the post, 7mm works well, depends on post diameter. Either use a for/aft approach as you step up or jazz it up with some drill and hope.
All year round use you can save a bit more and drill a larger 2 to 2.5cm hole near the bottom, in the frame inserted section.
Drill the cradle to, this allows you to drop a bit of lube of your choice to reduce the squeaks.

It is really naff and maybe something that happened during a few batches but i have two like it and i have only bought two posts!

I have had some pretty disappointing experiences with Thomson posts and it's left me wondering how they have managed to create such a good name for themselves.

I have one that creaks like you wouldn't believe. I thought my frame was cracked or something at first then thought it could be the saddle and finally tracked it down to the post.

I know several people that have found their posts to be undersized and slip in frames, including one in a frame I built and was very careful to not over ream the seattube. In all instances replacement with another brand of post has cured the slippage.

I also shelled out for the 27.2 dropper when it was pretty much the only dropper available in that size and I have never regretted a purchase as much. It spent less than 3 months of the first year I owned it on my bike and the rest of the time it was back with the distro for service and warranty replacement of parts.

Back