Two Raleigh Robin Hood Sports

Saku

Retro Newbie
I got these 2 Robin Hood Sports. Men and women models. Men bike is rideable and shifts and brakes are working etc. but both bikes have many broken spokes and wheels are pretty worn off in general..

I'm planning to repair these for me and my girlfriend for next spring
Any idea from where i can get wheels with 5-speed gear hubs for both bikes? Or how change the hub and gears to other wheels?

Frames and painting is pretty nice condition in both bikes, but i'm not sure should i left it as is or paint these and order new old decals to restore original look.
I'm not a fan of that downward driving position, so that dropbar and stem got to go at least, and saddle also need changing, but i kind of like this bike in general and its old look and don't want to change too much of it.

Any idea what year these are from? That old couple who gave these to me have bought these as new some decades ago, but couldn't remember when exactly..

All thoughts, comments, recommendations and help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Saku

Attachments

• DSC_0322.JPG
    DSC_0322.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0323.JPG
    DSC_0323.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Early 70s, almost certainly.

As far as the wheels go, there are probably plenty knocking around on eBay which would be your best bet- just make sure you get the right size, of course! You would most likely get some with the freewheels still attached (the gears, that is), so no need to take the old ones off your current wheels. If you did need to take them off, you need the right freewheel removal tool, which you can pick up for a few quid (again, a bit of research needed to make sure you get the right one).

Possibly some of the last Robin Hood branded bikes produced? When did Raleigh stop using the name ? My brother-in-law had a RH in the 50's with SA hub gear etc. As a young lad I ruined it by making it into a 'tracker' with motor bike 'bars, no mudguards, Avon Speedway tyres etc. It's owner was not pleased - AT ALL!:mad::(

70's was my guess too. Thanks for the tip. i will check what ebay have to offer.
there is not much info about 70's RH models (at least i didn't found it) but lets see. maybe i need to tear apart one wheel so i can measure it so i can find wheel and gear separately if not ready wheel with 5speed gear can be found

These are standard Nottingham Raleighs. So you have 26 threads per inch head and bottom bracket threads, (Raleigh own standard)
I would have expected 26 inch wheels, The fronts are common enough, but the rear ends may be only 5 / 16 inch instead of 3 / 8 inch, most bikes now are 10mm, so there may be a bit of filing required. (Either the ends or the axles.)

Keith

Possibly some of the last Robin Hood branded bikes produced? When did Raleigh stop using the name ? My brother-in-law had a RH in the 50's with SA hub gear etc. As a young lad I ruined it by making it into a 'tracker' with motor bike 'bars, no mudguards, Avon Speedway tyres etc. It's owner was not pleased - AT ALL!:mad::(

You have just more or less described what I did to my Raleigh Sports when I was a teenager and my dad was not amused.

Back