Tubeless sealant who uses what and why?

WD Pro":xizrq43x said:
I now have a compressor for next time though :D
WD :D
What compressor did you get? I've wondered if those compressors that plug into your car cigarette lighter produce enough air pressure to be of any use inflating a tubeless tyre.

Hi,

In my opinion, it's not the pressure that you need, its flow.

Those small compressors might reach a high pressure but they take an age to get there - that won’t help you in seating beads, the tiny amount of airflow will leak out before blowing the beads into position.

It’s the same reason that it is harder with a track pump (compared to Co2 or an air line) and why removing the valve core helps.

I was lucky with my compressor - it was liberated from the medical centre (dentist) when we shut the factory, it was brand new ... :cool:

The reservoir is the key - once charged it will hold a large volume of air and is capable of discharging it very quickly, perfect for seating beads.

Once charged I reckon I could turn off the pump and be able to seat and inflate multiple tyres just using the stored air.

WD :D

WD Pro":2kq573o2 said:
Once charged I reckon I could turn off the pump and be able to seat and inflate multiple tyres just using the stored air.
I can do 6 or 7 largish volume mtb tyres with a 20 l compressor at ~100psi.

And when you see the words "soapy water" they really mean watery soap.
I use about a 50/50 mix and a small paintbrush to run it round the bead/rim interface on both sides, just gives a slightly better seal when you are trying to bang the tyres on.

We've used Stans sealant for ~7 years with only two punctures stopping play, rode over the broken edge of a roof tile, left a 2cm gash in a brand new tyre. And the missus snapped a spoke that speared straight through the rim tape, and there's rarely any sealant on that side :( (just have to remember to shake and pour with stans, to get the lumps into the tyre, rather than the bottom of the bottle.

Right well heres what I did!

Got some Stans and a nice new pair of Bontrager XR Mud 29er tyres. I have a compressor but its sh*t and berely pumps up my car tyres. So I thought I'd give it a go with my track pump. Put the sealant in through the valve (core removed) and then got a water spray with a 50/50 fairy liquid/water and sprayed all around the bead. Then put the valve core back in, and attached the track pump. Right deep breath and pump like a lonely teenage boy! After a bit of initial air leak then tyre began to inflate. Then came the bing, ting, twang and it was seated! It was that easy got both tyres done in about 10 mins. Shook them, bounced them, then let them lie horizontally for about half hour. Then put them back on the bike and went on a 16 mile offroad blast...not a psi of pressure lost they had the same in them when I returned as when I set out! Very pleased with that and glad I got that "1st time of doing that" out of the way successfully.

A happy Doug thanks for the advice guys!

Attachments

• mud tyre 1.jpg
    mud tyre 1.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Santa Cruz mud tyres.jpg
    Santa Cruz mud tyres.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 166
Good stuff.

I use wheel milk from JRA and haven't had an issue with it so far. I've found that my tubeless Schwable Hans Dampf's inflate super easily on UST rims with just a track pump. No need for soapy water either. The only annoying thing is that the valve cores on my Easton wheels is not removeable.

I don't think I'll go back to tubes after having run tubeless for a while now.

Getting tubelesses fitted to my new 29er by the shop. These are Hutchinson Cobras, with a Hutchinson kit. Just wondering, when these are on, what do you ride with to inflate the tyre once you have treated the wheels? Normal pump OK?

Once the bead has snapped into place, a normal pump should be fine for topping up.
If you break the bead seal it *should* be Ok with a pump, but I carry CO2 as a back up.
FWIW in 7 years of almost exclusive tubeless use I've had to top up twice (on fresh installs). Neither needed CO2.

mattr":1hzwpgj6 said:
Once the bead has snapped into place, a normal pump should be fine for topping up.
If you break the bead seal it *should* be Ok with a pump, but I carry CO2 as a back up.
FWIW in 7 years of almost exclusive tubeless use I've had to top up twice (on fresh installs). Neither needed CO2.

Thanks Matt.

On my 26 I've run Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTBs (tubed) and had two punctures in 5 years, both caused by large sharp nails, on road sections. Nothing offroad. I would have got these same tyres on my 9er but they don't do 'em in that size. I just want to fit and forget.

Latest posts

Back