Trying to find out about this Concorde Frame

jamesdak

Old School Hero
I picked up this frame a couple of months ago but research and asking around has not given me an answer on the frame as to who make it, what tubing, etc. I found a Diamant bike with the same paint scheme, logos, and "Blitz" decal. I know Martelly built some Diamant's so I asked Eddy about this frame. He said he didn't but thought it was made of Columbus SL tubing. Seattube is smooth all the way down and seems to take a 27.2 seatpost. The fork steerer tube is smooth also. So this part is confusing. SL is 27.2 while Aelle is smaller. SL has helical ridges in the fork steerer, Aelle doesn't. Looking into the top tube from a whole in the seatube I can't seen any ridges in the steel either. I don't have the proper tool to pull off the BB so no idea yet what thinks look like there. The rear dropouts are Ultech. There is a 56 stamped on the bottom bracket as well as 3E and serial numbers. It appears to take a press fit BB cable guide. I've picked up a couple and will use which ever seems to line up best. The frame/fork weighs 7 lbs 4 ozs with the Mavic headset and bottom bracket. Maybe some issues with the BB as the Mavic BB seems tapered and not fitting well. I saw issues with that and the headset before I got it but just figure on getting them properly faced as it's built up. Anyway, just curious like normal and wondering what others know about these. Right now I'm thinking about using one of the Dura Ace 7700 groupsets I have on this.

The frame itself as I got it.

169932877.jpg

BB, I wonder if the 3E stamp some how identifies the tubing.

169932869.jpg

Ultech dropout

169893578.jpg

Looks like some kind of decal was removed. Denatured alcohol takes the yellow paint right off.

169932871.jpg

Cut out lugs

169932875.jpg

169932872.jpg

Does seem like a correct matching fork

169932874.jpg

This was pushed down deep into the seat tube. I thought it was a homemade shim at first but then it's obvious it was there when the frame was painted because that yellow paint mark matches the slot in the seattube.

169932864.jpg

Hi,

I think the fork looks correct.

They are thought to be built by Ciocc or Billato in Italy.

With no Italian flag on the top tube and Ultech dropouts, probably not Columbus SL. Gara or Cromor possibly.

I have one in Aelle, it’s 27.0 seat post and smooth tubing with Ultech dropouts.

The 56 is the frame size.

They have Italian BB.

Nice looking frameset.

Regards.

Nothing stamped under the rear brake bridge?
That says Squadra on the top tube and my Squadra was Billato built from memoery though this looks a later one than my 1989 model judging by paint and dropouts etc..
Looks very similar otherwise.

Jamie

So, Roberto Billato responded via the Billato facebook page to confirm that they did build it. No response though on the tubing.

No stamp on the bottom of the brake bridge and it is a different bridge than used on my 8 other Billato built bikes.

Jamiedyer":1sjm1n6q said:
Nothing stamped under the rear brake bridge?
That says Squadra on the top tube and my Squadra was Billato built from memoery though this looks a later one than my 1989 model judging by paint and dropouts etc..
Looks very similar otherwise.

Jamie

The 'Squadra' on the top tube is part of a Columbus sticker - I have few sheets of these stickers and it looks like someone has added at least a whole set to this frame.

Thought I'd update this with some pictures of the built up bike. Still waiting for a few cosmetic pieces to come in and need to decide on what to do about all those Columbus decals. Built with a Mavic Starfish crank and then a used Chorus 9 speed groupset I had on hand. Tried to keep the yellow and white theme going throughout the whole bike.

171267410.jpg

171267425.jpg

171267427.jpg

171267419.jpg

171267424.jpg

171267428.jpg

171267423.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nob":qlu20ee1 said:
The saddle looks a bit modern & maybe secure a Turbo saddle in white maybe an option??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Selle-It ... Swdmlb4yiM

Nope, all my bikes are for riding and riding long miles. So I need a saddle that works for me. ;) That wouldn't be a Turbo. Have several hanging on the wall of the garage right now, LOL!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
A couple of final pictures of this one. I got in the final cosmetic pieces and finished it off. Yellow Campagnolo logo'd bar plugs and crank dust caps as well as adding some yellow finishing tape for a splash more of color and removed a few of those Columbus stickers.

Funny thing for me is the bike was finished right as winter hit. None of my nice rides go out once the salt and other chemicals get dumped on the roads. So I never got that first test ride. Realized the bike cave was busting at the seams and listed this locally for sale. Lots of interest and it pretty much sold right away for my asking price.

171313784.jpg

171313785.jpg

171313786.jpg

171313787.jpg

Back