Stubborn cranks

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Midway through doing some upgrades on this Lana'i I've got stuck.

The crank puller stripped the threads out. I bravely/stupidly tried it a second time which has thoroughly knackered them.

So far I've tried hot air gun on cranks and whacking repeatedly from rear with hammer...no dice. Used a punch/breaker bar and also hit it directly. It's going straight in the scrap pile if I manage to get it off.

It's hard to be precise with the hot air gun, especially as the cranks are partly plastic (& steel). Square tapers and cranks themselves are alloy so I'm hopeful that heat will be the solution. Thinking try a blow torch next so I can direct the flame straight at the middle of the cranks.

Other possible issue is bike stand wobbling when I hit it and absorbing impact. Thinking next move (other than the blowtorch) is to support the bike more rigidly. Not sure what the best way is to do that.

Plan B I suppose is cutting the cranks but this isn't straightforward due to the steel parts. What about drilling around the edge of the square taper? BF3EC7D7-B99E-4F37-AF6E-5E749CCBFD48.jpeg 76DD86A8-8EC1-4ACF-91E1-0FBFC8768ACE.jpeg 09250B65-FC05-4F91-BE6D-CFDFBC6CA88A.jpeg

Given up for today as I've hurt myself.

paging LGF ...

The world needs you !

he had a way of getting them off using another donor crank, other than that I have a three legged and two leg puller you can borrow

Back