'95-ish Giant ATX 780 - Refresh

The following might be of benefit to those searching for M65T cartridges for Shimano LX M565 cantilevers (also applicable to STX-RC / MC33 which has the same set up).

Previously, I mentioned that the original LX cantilever pad inserts (M65/T) were cactus. I impatiently purchased a set of Jagwire cantilever pads from the LBS (as I wanted a solution that enabled me to ride the freshly tinkered bike *that day*) - they're actually fantastic and have give the brakes a strong feel, without the 'rim eating' qualities of the old Shimano blocks.

Try as I might however, I couldn't leave the lovely LX holders empty so I finally took the plunge and acquired a set of the Kool Stop M65/T Salmon inserts from SJS Cycles, which came with be back to Australia from UK in my camera satchel...

P5050397.jpg
P5050403.jpg

Ride report to follow. In the interim...

P6160248.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Step asside assortment of worn 26" hand-me-downs, it's new tyre o'clock!

Maxxis DTH in 2.15" (folding).

DSC_9264.jpg

If I'm honest, I originally thought them as a bit 'fashion tyre' (here is looking at you, Billy Bonkers), but they suit the surfaces this bike sees perfectly. And they really do look fantastic.

P7100326.jpg

At some point since my last update, I also changed the handlebars. I quietly yearn for a little more rise / backsweep so I picked up this inexpensive Uno 'Swallow' bar to experiment. They're not quite the riding position I had in mind (too much rise / backsweep!)
and whilst it was nice to experiement with something different, I've since swapped back to my previous set of bars.

I've got my eye on a riser bar from Indonesian mob, Ken.ID, which looks to be a copy of the Nitto B802 series.

Never the less, Café Cruiser mode captured for posterity.

Giant ATX Cafe Cruiser-001.jpg
Giant ATX Cafe Cruiser-003.jpg
Giant ATX Cafe Cruiser-009.jpg
Giant ATX Cafe Cruiser-005.jpg

Specs: 620mm wide | 50mm rise | 50 degree sweep

The leather saddle tool bag was something my wife bought for me years ago but I've never owned a saddle with provisions to hang it from. After returning to Australia, I found it in storage (still in its packaging!) and was motivated to make use of it.

Giant ATX Cafe Cruiser-006.jpg

To mount the bag, I've used a gadget called the Bagman Quick Release adaptor by Carradice which clamps to the seat rails. It's a neat gadget and features sliding pins so you can remove your bag without fumbling around with straps (though the spring mechanism is a little clunky).

Curiously, I expected there to be more options out there to allow you to use saddle bags with contemporary saddles but I suspect this is frowned upon depending on the cycling niche you occupy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Back