'95-ish Giant ATX 780 - Refresh

HourGlass

Dirt Disciple
Greetings RetroBike people!

I thought I'd share the tale of my 1995 (ish?) Giant ATX 780.

The bike has been with me for about 15 years after being given to me by my (then) girlfriend (now) wife.

It had originally belonged to her late grandfather and had been hanging in her parent's garage for a good ten years or so; I can only assume bought it and never used it as it was practically new (as suggested by the lack of marks on the paint work and the fresh rim sidewalls).
I commuted on it whilst studying and whilst I was fond of it, it never really had my attention in the same way that other shock / disc-equipped memebers of the bicycle fleet did. When I moved out of home (and later overseas), it once again took its place at the back of the garage.

With a trip back to Australia planned for Christmas, I thought it might be a nice opportunity to dust off the bike, tart it up a little and go take it on some adventures!

ATX-001.jpg

The aim of the refresh was to address a few shortcomings:
> Reach: I always felt too stretched out when cycling this bike.
> Brakes: They sucked (no thanks to me)?
> Gearing: Let's just say GripShift never sparked joy.

So I collected a few parts to throw at it.

PC040767.jpg

Proposed Spec

Basics
Butted Cromo Frame, DiaCompe Headset, 'Zenith' 70mm stem and 3ttt Xtreme Flat Bars

Braking
Shimano LX M563 Cantilevers mated to Dia Compe SS-6 levers.
Pads are dried up rim-eaters so I'll use some Jagwire jobbies untill I can source Shimano M/65T cartridges

Drivechain
Shimano LX M563 (F) and Shimano XT M739 (R) derailleurs mated to MicroShift SL-T08 Thumbies.
Cranks Shimano LX M563 with Shimano UN52 BB
Chain and Cassette and Rings: Original Shimano 8-speed
Crank Bolts: Specialties TA (Self-extracting crank bolts are my favourite bicycle component)
Pedals: Original EXT-Pro (for show) and Wellgo V8 copies (for use)

Wheels
Rigida on Shimano LX with Maxxis Larson TT 26x2.0 (F) and Maxxis Crossmark 26x2.0 (R) tyres

Finishing
Oury grips, Fizik Gobi XM Saddle, Giant seatpost and binder bolt

Part I:
As found in the back of the garage.

PC090811.jpg

PC090813.jpg
The Avid SD7 levers are not stock and were an addition by me (long before an understanding of pull ratios...)

PC090815.jpg
These pads are not doing the rims any favours either.

PC090812.jpg

PC090814.jpg

Last edited:
Part II:
In the workstand.

PC120834.jpg
Up yer get.

PC120838.jpg
I love these levers but even with the adjusters, the mechanical advantage isn't appropriate for the cantilevers.

PC120836.jpg
Bye lads.

PC120837.jpg
This bike still has all its sticker.

PC130845.jpg
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Part III:
Done! (For now...)

Well the bike cleaned up an absolute treat! I can't believe how good the paint turned out - I can't stop looking at it!
I originally intended on running the original 3ttt flat bar without the bar ends but it looked a little strange with the short stem. Looking through the parts bin, I found a generic black Giant riser bar witha 25.4mm clamp and using some oven cleaner + steel wool, was able to strip the anodising to bare aluminium and polish to match the rest of the cockpit. It's not perfect but I'm really happy with the outcome.

One little hurdle was the brake pads; the 65mm LX cartridges were very hard and not at all doing the rim braking surface any favours. I've fitted some Jagwire pads but I'm curious as to whether Kool Stop still make something to suit?

I'm super happy with the parts choices - whilst not original, I think they're very much in keeping with the spirit of the bike.

PC160995.jpg PC130855.jpg PC130849.jpg PC130850.jpg P1011200.jpg P1011194.jpg P1011189.jpg P1011186.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Yes yes, that's a really nicely finished bike! Great photos too! Enjoy it

Tidy! Great photos

Many thanks! 😁

It's a different bike with revised cockpit. The original set up was quite long in the reach and rather uncomfortable for longer rides. I think this strikes a balance between looking original (or at least in keeping with the period), but _actually_ enjoyable to ride!

I've been investigating these brakepads a little further. The original LX pad is called the M65/T of which OEM options appear to have dried up a long time ago. It appears Kool Stop make a replacement insert called the KS-LXSA which are about £30 / $55 and are still available. Might give them a go and report back!

Back