Trek 830 - A touring prospect

Good stem choice - lots of room for adjustment to get really comfortable. Looks extremely well-suited to the job.

Re: Re:

xerxes":2g1ouq1i said:
but is likely to be changed for a Spa or Brooks (if I can find one at a sensible price).

I've got a Spa and a Brooks and I'm very impressed with the Spa, the leather is thicker and firmer than the Brooks and took longer to break in, but as a result it looks as though it will ultimately last longer, whereas I think the Brooks may have gone a little too soft now and has gone a bit "hamocky". However, I found both pretty comfortable from the outset.

That's good to know, thanks.

I went ebay watching as soon as I started work on the Trek and at the time B15's seemed to be going at a sensible price, say £35 to £45. The couple that I bid on and a few more I watched went much higher, and as I can get a brand new titanium Spa Nidd for £75 I am pretty much heading in that direction.

hamster":1tqa2ese said:
Good stem choice - lots of room for adjustment to get really comfortable. Looks extremely well-suited to the job.

That was a bit of good fortune as it is the factory stem. It just needed the rust removing and a respray.

Re:

I can get a brand new titanium Spa Nidd for £75 I am pretty much heading in that direction.

I don't think I'd pay extra for the Titanium version for a touring bike, I very much doubt you'll notice the 200g weight saving and the money saved will pay for the mudguards. :D

Re:

After suffering the coughing lurgi all over Christmas, I finally managed to get out on the Trek today.

25 miles of mixed roads, with a little tiny bit of the Strawberry Line thrown in and it was all very good. I like the handling, the brakes bedded in as the ride went on, although I may well fit new front pads, the standard shifters and mechs worked perfectly and easily coped with the new bigger cassette. I will try different angles on the saddle; a nice Wrights that I got for sensible money, as at the start of the ride it felt fine, by the end I could definitely feel the rivets.

Gearing is excellent and even up some sensible climbs I didn't use the granny ring, or even the lowest gears in the middle, so that bodes well.

Next jobs then are to fit mudguards and racks.

DSCN1332_zpsepcvkm9k.jpg

DSCN1321_zpsncwglygz.jpg

I would fit a cable hanger to the headset - that would leave you with more adjustment for the stem or its replacement (as it looks a little close to the safety mark!)

Something like

s-l225.jpg

or

Unbranded-Headset-Brake-Cable-Guide-1-1-8-Black-_1.jpg

Re:

The stem is pretty much on the minimum insertion mark as I wanted to see if the height would be OK without spending money on a new stem.

I have a few cable hangers pretty much the same as those in the draw, so I could easily make a change.. truth is it never occurred to me, I just sprayed the stem, put a new brake cable inner in the original outer and screwed the whole thing back together.

Re:

Comments listen to, at least in part, alterations made, racks fitted and time to try it out again.

40k road ride with 780m of climbing and all is well.

A little cable stretch means the rear mech needs a tiny adjustment, but overall I am very pleased.

DSCN1432_zpsnjbljnvs.jpg

DSCN1437_zpslyxch8oj.jpg

DSCN1434_zpshf6xqjyb.jpg

Re:

These old Treks are such a bargain ! I have seen a few locally for sale although not as cheap as yours :LOL: and always have to try hard not to buy them :facepalm:
Enjoy your adventures on it .
Paul

Back