Trek 830 - A touring prospect

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I fancy some touring, so, I consulted many sources, some said 700c wheels, some said 26" wheel, some said buy a touring bike, some said only a Thorn / Spa Cycles / Hewitt will do, and some said a 1990's mtb is an ideal basis.

So, ever the skinflint I pulled an old Marin frame out of my garage only to discover that although I ride 18 or 19" mtb's offroad this was not going to be ideal for a tourer, as in my opinion the top tube is too low and the seatpost too long. And so I turned to Ebay, and quickly found a Trek 830 locally and at a price of £2.67.... my kind of money. In the end I had to hand over £16.50, but still, I think you'll agree there is a lot of potential.

My initial thoughts, before picking the bike up today, were that just about everything would be scrapped and just the frame and forks would be used as a basis. I am now having seriously second thoughts.

A couple of quick pics.
DSCN1285_zpshkfljtxl.jpg

DSCN1286_zpsln6vjavy.jpg

Re:

You were robbed! :LOL:

Seriously though, I can't believe you can get a whole bike for that! :shock:

Mike

Re:

It's still wearing the original tyres, complete with moulding sprue / whiskers.

Mostly Shimano Alivio running gear, Weinmann rims that look well up to the job and well adjusted canti's.

Re: Re:

KDM":10rsvmwl said:
http://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/fullyloaded

Cool photos. That's real adventure stuff, I intend to stick mostly to the roads.

My plans are to get it put together in basic specification and then try a few rides locally to test weight, brakes and gearing. Then do some two or three day trips from home to West Somerset, Devon or the Brecon Beacons and back.

If that proves the bike, then I will look at some possible C2C's with the aim of riding the coastline of Scotland in a few years time.

If the Trek does not work out, I will do the same experiment with a 531 road frame, with the same aim.

Re:

Started work late this afternoon and I have to say whoever at Bike in Bristol (now sadly gone) put the Trek together, they had an eye to the future as both the seatpost and stem came out easily and both had old grease on them. Not bad after 20 years untouched.

The stem will need a rub down and respray but may well be useable, it certainly comes up high enough, I will just have to see about the reach. The seatpost is heavyweight alloy and ideal for the job, so that's another few bob saved. One of the pedals did not want to come off, but a light coating of GT85 soon sorted that. The paint has a few worms under it, but will polish up well.

I'll take a couple more pictures tomorrow, and then it goes into the bike stand and gets stripped right down.

Re:

Of course it is, I was thinking of the place at the bottom of Park St that became a Specialized Store.

Back