grantoury

Kona Fan
Last week I got into a conversation with a neighbour in my village, who is from the U.S. originally. He recently had a new bike built and he told me he gave his old Trek to the thrift store. I said it is probably worth something but he said he didn't want the trouble. I decided to go look for it first chance I got. Saturday I rode to one of two thrift stores, nothing there, but at the second one it stood right by the door. An early American made Trek. I don't think there are a lot of those in the Netherlands. They were asking 249 euros, after some haggling I bought it for 200, split the price with my dad so it is jointly owned, and brought it home. It looked used but for the parts which are mostly Campagnolo. They seem to be new. As @KermitGKona88 pointed out, they are worth more than the whole bike cost. So I am very pleased with a very rare bike (around here) and some beautiful parts. This is how it looked when I brought it home:

IMG_20230318_164208.jpg

Today, after getting a 3/16 allen key for the seat clamp from my dad, I put a longer seatpost in, so I could ride it. It is a tight fit but it works. Brakes need adjusting and probably new cables. I have ordered a Nitto moustache for it, so hopefully I can combine it with the current Nitto stem. It is only 8cm long but the longer reach of the moustache may compensate for it.

IMG_20230321_133402.jpg IMG_20230321_133426.jpg IMG_20230321_133514.jpg IMG_20230321_133530.jpg

Last edited:
change is the only constant :) - I started with 90s MTB, now I'm into 29er non-motorized and motorized as well as with roadies and Gravels, commuting bikes, folders, last year I converted one of my 90s MTB to a touring rig, and currently I'm trying to convince myself not to grap a 50's French 650b rando... ;)

change is the only constant :) - I started with 90s MTB, now I'm into 29er non-motorized and motorized as well as with roadies and Gravels, commuting bikes, folders, last year I converted one of my 90s MTB to a touring rig, and currently I'm trying to convince myself not to grap a 50's French 650b rando... ;)
True, but its not that what surprised me, but the fact that I never expected to be able to buy such a bike out here. I like all bicycles and always have.

Grab it to save me :rolleyes:

Back