Tour de France in Yorkshire... who's going?

Re: Re:

TedC":3a0037ta said:
Staying in York, planning to go to Harewood House for Saturday

Get there very early. I think they're shutting the roads at 6am.

I'm planning on catching it somewhere just before Harewood House and then carrying on into Harrogate. Does anyone know how strict they'll be on the road closures? Once the whole procession has rolled through will I be able to get away with cycling along the road? Could do without having to take a massive detour towards Wetherby. Don't think they'll be any chance of getting a decent spot near the finish so going to head towards the hill as they get into Harrogate. Its probably 10% but pretty short and I want to see just how fast the pros go up it and whether a Sagan/Rodriguez/Dan Martin type tries to take a flier off the front.

Re:

It's a tough one because there isn't much of a pedestrian path around harewood house, as it is. more verges etc....
Using the tdf map, the route actually goes through harewood house grounds. The place will be thronged!

A61 and A6120 look to be the main road closures. This means every man and their dog would have thought about wike lane opposite the bridalway entrance to the grounds. As there is free parking etc...big hint...however there is too much uncertain aspect of access, crowd numbers etc...so i just dropped the idea of being able to arrange a ride for this event.

Me, i'm gonna nip down to Leeds on my bike for the early stuff. Playhouse, regent street etc ought to get me close to the action. City centre parking will be hard to find but there is street parking in the vacinity of regent street, just beware road closures.

marc two tone":32ze0r0r said:
A61 and A6120 look to be the main road closures. This means every man and their dog would have thought about wike lane opposite the bridalway entrance to the grounds.

I was thinking the lane (no idea what its called) thats forks off Wike Lane and comes out on A61 at the top of the hill would be where I'd head. But I'm guessing that will be just as busy. So long as I can get from there into Harewood on A61 by bike after they pass through.
More worried about how to get my kids to their swimming lesson at Quarry House at 8:30 seems as Regent Street will be shut. Should really check the road closures to make sure I can get there going past Jimmys.

Kerplunk":3c1h7q2z said:
marc two tone":3c1h7q2z said:
A61 and A6120 look to be the main road closures. This means every man and their dog would have thought about wike lane opposite the bridalway entrance to the grounds.

I was thinking the lane (no idea what its called) thats forks off Wike Lane and comes out on A61 at the top of the hill would be where I'd head. But I'm guessing that will be just as busy. So long as I can get from there into Harewood on A61 by bike after they pass through.
More worried about how to get my kids to their swimming lesson at Quarry House at 8:30 seems as Regent Street will be shut. Should really check the road closures to make sure I can get there going past Jimmys.

Yes, becket street (jimmy's) should be ok at that time, then head back up becket st through harehills/roundhay and pickup wetherby road. wind your way up toward harewood from there. Wetherby road right upto wetherby too, as the ring road is going to be diverted and get busy in places. from collingham, you are approaching from a better direction up the A659 to harewood. Park in the carpark East keswick if possible.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.90344 ... a=!3m1!1e3

If all men and dogs are there, i'm sure you can go down in to east keswick and get on the main street somewhere. Nice pub there too, kings arms iirc, good food. ;)

Re:

Ill be going on a couple of the days, but still not sure where. I fancy going into Leeds for the start, but know ill be annoyed by all the people there solely to say they have been rather than having any actual interest in the sport.

Treating the family to a 'luxury' weekend in the campervan at Broughton Hall, as part of the Rapha gig. Have foolishly entered the Super CX on the Friday - tequila and foam are bound to play havoc with my performance... Hope to see the race on Saturday morning in/around Skipton, then cycling across to Harrogate for the finish (looks to be about 27 miles each way). Sunday we'll see them again near the campsite then we're driving down to Pitsmoor in Sheffield as the route goes past a friend's front door, probably 2 miles from the finish.

mrkawasaki":1gzvgt3q said:
then we're driving down to Pitsmoor in Sheffield as the route goes past a friend's front door, probably 2 miles from the finish.
don't leave youre campavan there - not one of the better parts of Sheffield, although some of the residential backstreet pockets can be quite charming and not visited by undesirables.

Re:

Am I ball-cocks!
It goes through my town and up my High St barely yards from my front door. They are anticipating- I quote- 9,999 people in a holding pen behind the Town Hall with live music from 11 am until brain haemourage time. Because of the anticipated influx of grockles our by-election has even been moved forward a day, thus breaking the time honoured British tradition of holding elections on a Thursday. I can't stand crowds so I'm having my own "Grand Depart" and heading off to the Peak District [No not Woodhead part!] when I return on Tuesday it'll be as though nothing has ever happened. I hope.
Don't worry, you can't break into Rich Aitch Castle while I'm gone and steal my bikes, I have friends house sitting who actually want to be there.
My Dad used to take me to watch the Milk Race and it was always boring beyond compare, if I'm gonna wait hours in the cold I want to see something a bit more interesting than skinny blokes in lycra! As far as I can make out the Tour de France is only worth watching when they crash [I like gore] or when they have a protest. I'm not sure what we can muster in the way of local protest, maybe the townsfolk can throw orange, black and grey paint over the riders as a protest against the loss of our local bus service?

Back