Torque wrench?

Re:

I've used the X-Tools one on a cycle mechanics course, and work has just bought the same one to keep the bikes used for adventure training in good order.
If I was working in a bike shop and using a torque wrench everyday then I'd probably splash out on Park Tools or something, but as I'd only use one weekly at most I think the £50-60 price range is more what I'd look at.
Think I might get the x-Tools one as I have some CRC vouchers sat here....

Re: Re:

Rampage":1xprtq4z said:
Halfords stuff is always pretty good.

I have had these for a few years now, the big and the small (bought for a car build). They are good, nice and solid etc and still look like new. I keep them in their tubes with a bag of silica gel to keep them dry.

They are a quality item with a solid clunk when the torque is achieved, each one is serial numbered and supplied with a calibration certificate.

The small one isn't quite small enough for all bike stuff though. From memory the scale starts at about 8Nm and it will adjust about 2Nm less than that.

In action :

I do believe that money spent on a quality tool isn't wasted and if looked after, should last a lifetime :D

WD :D

Mine is a b&q special, but it's been fine over the past few years........the only thing it won't do is a crank bolt where the torque is high, but anything else bike related it will sort without a problem.......

Re: Re:

makster":jhclnjzf said:
What torque range do you need?

Most bike stuff is in the 2Nm - 12 or 15Nm range, but some things like square taper crank bolts, or modern external BB bearing cups need a lot more. With modern (or retro) carbon parts it's probably a good idea to stick to the recommended torque settings, money spent on a decent torque wrench could save you from crushing that expensive carbon sestpost, or those retro alloy bars when fitting bar ends.

Several sites list General torque settings... http://bicycletutor.com/torque-specifications/.... And manufacturers specify torque settings for their products too.

The park site has a list of generic torque settings :D

I have one of those ritchy torque keys for the low torque stuff :D

WD :D

Re:

Just been flicking through the Planet X catalogue and they have s Torque Wrench set (2-24Nm) for £39.99 that looks decent, maybe worth a look as well?

Re:

I've got a Cyclo tools torque wrench. Cost me about £20 a few years ago. Didn't think it'd be much cop for that money, but it's turned out to be a decent quality item. The scale goes from 2 to 20 NM, so covers just about everything on a bike. Highly recommended.

Marge

Back