Toe Clip Woes

Re:

Looks like the pedal axle isn't long enough. But don't take my word, I'm not familiar with bikes from that era

You are right mike, there's something wrong with the pedals themselves. MKS Sylvan pedals are very nice :( they look exactly as they did when I was a kid, I wonder if they use the same tooling?

Shaun

Re:

Funnily enough I said to my wife that I thought the pedals needed some sort of extension to the axles.... Did I get track pedals by accident? I knew pretty much nothing about pedals from that era when I bought them, still don't really, so it is more than possible I bought completely the wrong things.

I'll get some MKS's on order in the morning.

They do look like track pedals, except most track pedals lose the outer end of the cage.

Could be a track body and road cage? That'd move everything inwards.....

Track pedals would work if they were OK, I run Kyokuto Pro Ace track pedals. :)

You can't go wrong with MKS Sylvan :)

Shaun

I had this on the Team Pro (but spotted it before the first ride). My problem is wide feet - like a hobbit without the hair. So narrower shoes aren't an option (and I have original Vittoria shoes anyway for this bike).
My solution was pedal spacing washers. One on each side has given 2mm which is all it needed.

Re:

Spacing washers, that's what I was talking about yesterday, I didn't even know if they actually existed.

MKS pedals now ordered, along with some new straps, JIC.

For those small pedals washers would not give you the clearance, you can get pedal extensions but they are mainly for Q Factor. Some extensions on the market are known to fracture and some have been the subject of a recall. If you get toe strap rub then you might think about washers on full size pedals.

I was wondering if your small pedals were for juniors. Way back you could get quill pedals for small children's racing bikes. We never stocked them, children's feet always grew !! In fact we used to put wooden blocks on kids bikes to make the pedals easier to reach. Wonder what health and safety would make if that nowadays :)

Shaun

Re:

It's a puzzle Shaun, as you can see (just) in one of the photo's that the shoe fits the pedal fine, it is just the whole thing is too close to the crank arm.

Anyway, ordered the pedals from SJS, they were a little more expensive than Wiggle and they will take twice as long to get them to me, but they are local and it's not like Wiggle will miss a £20 order.

Also, just found and bought some 70's looking Falcon shoes. I do a few searches every day, Lloyd, Yates, Rourke, Roberts and just recently various shoe searches and also jerseys too. Lo and behold, this morning there are some shoes in my size at a realistic price.... let's just hope they are true to size.

The AXO's can wait for my next project..... but that's another thread.

I'm on the lookout for some 70's shoes, can I be cheeky and ask where you found yours?

First morning of blue sky for a week here in Staithes on the East coast!! Might sit outside the holiday cottage with a cup of tea :)

Shaun

Back