Today's Ride

Re:

Man Al, you missed it by just a week! Today-Saturday-Warmer than yesterday, 62 F. and sunny. Up to the West of town today to the Council Rocks, where we enjoyed lying in the sun like a bunch of lizards...

Attachments

• Lounging in the sun.jpg
    Lounging in the sun.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 672
  • Looking East.jpg
    Looking East.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 672
Re:

Today-Tuesday-Chilly out, about 52 F. when we left on the ride. Up Iron Springs fire road to Tamarancho today. Part way up there was a big slide that happened about 7-8 years ago and they built a little bridge across the chasm. It slid again last week and they pushed the mud over the side and put tarps on the upper hillside, but it's supposed to start raining tomorrow for about 4-5 days off and on-so we'll see. It was nice up top in the sun...

Attachments

• Rest stop-Tam in far background.jpg
    Rest stop-Tam in far background.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 652
  • Slide area.jpg
    Slide area.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 652
  • Muddy Bridge.jpg
    Muddy Bridge.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 652
  • Tam.jpg
    Tam.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 652
Re:

Yeah, tarps aren't the best solution. When this area slid out 7-9 years ago it was like an almost vertical chute where the bridge area is. When you look over the side, the supports go down at least 40-50 feet and the hill continues to drop about 2-300 feet more at that angle. Today-Wednesday-Had to get out today before the next 4-6 days of off and on rainstorms. A short but extra steep way up 800' to the West of town. About 56 F. and overcast today...

Attachments

• Low cloude over Fairfax.jpg
    Low cloude over Fairfax.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 626
  • Gnarly old tree.jpg
    Gnarly old tree.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 626
Only getting out at weekends at present. Went off piste this morning. Up into the low mist and ancient woodland........

Accompanied by the gaze of a mythical creature, trapped in the decaying hulk of a long fallen oak.

A hulk of a different kind. Can you tell what it is? The Chassis rail is almost bent double at the top.

This is the remains of a defensive ditch that surrounded an allegedly Bronze Age hill fort The bike is on the raised entrance. 90% of the ditch remains. I love this spot and walk the dogs up here every Sunday morning. Pic is taken at the '3 o'clock' entrance point looking south.

The woodland has been extensively managed, not always to the benefit of the wildlife population. The small pine plantations appear lifeless and are eerily quiet in comparison to the mixed planting around them.

Re:

Today-Monday- It's been raining pretty much every day for the last 5 days, so hunkering down inside for a few more days. Gary Fisher dropped by today, dressed to the nines as he always is these days...

Attachments

• Me and Gary.jpg
    Me and Gary.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 564
Re:

Today-Tuesday-It finally stopped raining long enough to get out on a climb up to Tamarancho this afternoon. The flood siren went off downtown this morning at 7 AM because the creek downtown was flooding over it's banks, but it went down pretty quickly to below flood stage. On the ride up the hill, it seems there was a gushing stream about every 50 yards or so-but it's great to be out on the bike again...

Attachments

• Big trees.jpg
    Big trees.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 546
  • Cloudy out there.jpg
    Cloudy out there.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 546
  • slide cleanup.jpg
    slide cleanup.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 546
  • Waterfall stairs.jpg
    Waterfall stairs.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 546
Re:

Today-Friday-After 2 more days of heavy rain, the sun came out and it warmed up to about 64 F. ( 14 C. ), leaving no excuses to not ride. Up about 800' to the West today...

Attachments

• Atop the mud pile.jpg
    Atop the mud pile.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 508
  • Sunny on top.jpg
    Sunny on top.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 508
Re:

Today-Saturday- A California winter day, 70 F. and beautiful out! We rode up White's Hill to the west of town, then back along an old patchwork of trails and fire road. Along the way we came to a spot where a really big tree had become uprooted and fell on the fire road- I put up a pic. January 13. They cut away most of the tree that was on the fire road, but it's still alive, even though you can look up and see the roots sticking out...

Attachments

• Uprooted but still alive.jpg
    Uprooted but still alive.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 491
  • Jan. 13 toppled tree.jpg
    Jan. 13 toppled tree.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 491
  • Rest stop in the sun.jpg
    Rest stop in the sun.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 491
  • A little muddy.jpg
    A little muddy.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 491
Re:

Had to try out the single speed set up today, so I togged up, and braved the elements.

IMG_0852 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Up the first drag, the 32x16 seemed ok, then along a wide very mucky section, before my favourite local rooty singletrack,

IMG_0854 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Amazed me that the chain didn't come off! Then down this fast tarmac/gravel track,

IMG_0855 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I'd forgot about the dirt track it leads into ! :shock: Got very splattered there :roll:

Before a short climb out of the mud,

IMG_0858 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

And home, for a bit of a clean up!

IMG_0860 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Mike

Back