Today's Ride

Re:

Today-Thursday-Charlie Kelly and I rode to San Rafael, about 5 miles, so I could pay a bill. We came home via the Water District, up past Phoenix Lake to 5 corners, then back down to Deer Park and Fairfax. It felt like fall this morning, with frost on some of the cars in the street's windows and a high today of 62 F. and sunny...

Attachments

• There he goes.jpg
    There he goes.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 371
  • Here he comes.jpg
    Here he comes.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 371
Re:

Today-Friday- It's starting to feel like Fall around here finally- 55 F. when we started the ride and about 61 expected this afternoon, plus two days of rain upcoming over the weekend. We need the rain, so I'll be glad for it. Have you noticed how long the shadows are getting? The sun is laying over pretty far this time of the year. We rode to Tamarancho today, a good climb up when you keep a good tempo...

Attachments

• Long shadows.jpg
    Long shadows.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 355
  • Goldman Trail.jpg
    Goldman Trail.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 355
Re:

Today-Monday-After a weekend of needed rain, it's out on the climb again today. A short but really step grind up to the OG Trail, about 900' climb. sunny and coolish, about 62 F. with no mud yet :cool: ...

Attachments

• OG Trail.jpg
    OG Trail.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 338
  • Red Hill and the Bay.jpg
    Red Hill and the Bay.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 338
Re:

Today-Wednesday-we rode up to the West of town about 900' up to a scenic view spot. You could see Mt. Tam to the south, and the Bay to the north east...

Attachments

• Tam in the background.jpg
    Tam in the background.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 313
  • North Bay.jpg
    North Bay.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 313
  • Rest stop.jpg
    Rest stop.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 313
Re:

so today i was asked to go to a yha in castleton to pre inspect it before taking a bus full of teenagers, and for lunch.........

i went riding, would have stayed longer but i had to collect sprog from school and its a 1-2 hour drive traffic pending

lunch in the van

freshly built bike to ride, wonder if it'll stay this clean......

the views, when i dared to stop and take some, tight time frame ;)

mmmmm getting muddy

back to the van just in time for my aim of 1.30

and no, it didnt stay clean for long, but nowt went wrong, posts a little low but worked and rode ace!!!

The History Man":11ijwrfh said:
Nice. Is that down the back of mam tor?

upper and lower derwent at ladybower. not a million miles away, didnt have enough time for an adventure, still, it was great to be out riding...............................on pay :cool:

Re:

Today-Thursday, Thanksgiving Day Holiday- I rode the annual Appetite Seminar with Warren and Charlie Kelly and at least 500 other riders. The climb up to the ridge at 1500' was brutal the way we went-plus it was so muddy on the last third of the climb we were pushing all the way. Once at the ridge top at about 1500' there is Pine Mtn. Truck road (fire road) to ride along the ridge, but since it is flat, it collects rain water and was, in places, a long muddy trough. We were riding and walking through the bushes along side of the deepest places. After hanging at the Triangle, the place where the last downhill starts, we rode down to the party downtown at the Museum parking lot. There was free beer until it ran out, and lots of old friends to visit with. A really fun day... :)

Attachments

• Me, Joe Breeze, Jer Heidenreich, Charlie Kelly, and Marc Vendetti.jpg
    Me, Joe Breeze, Jer Heidenreich, Charlie Kelly, and Marc Vendetti.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Warren.jpg
    Warren.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 284
  • Muddy on the ridge top.jpg
    Muddy on the ridge top.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Pat and Joe Breeze.jpg
    Pat and Joe Breeze.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 1500' up.jpg
    1500' up.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Looking East from the Ridge.jpg
    Looking East from the Ridge.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 284
A few of my own photos from the Thanksgiving Day "Appetite Seminar" ride. Count was somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 riders. Sunny skies but deep mud that would have been the envy of any UK rider. As usual, beer ran out just as I arrived at the finish party at the Marin Museum of Bicycling.

For 21 years Josh Orlando (left) has run the Pine Mountain Turkey Day Cafe, pouring coffee laced with a little hair of the dog. He'll make you pancakes of you need them.

The Turkey Boyz decorated for the occasion.

Mud. We have it. Especially after 7 cm of rain in the previous week and a few hundred riders.

Marin Museum of Bicycling is a perfect finish party.

It got a little muddy.

When you have Scot Nicol and "Ibis Maximus" in the same place, you get a photo.

Here, BTW, is the poster I had made to promote this ride in 1982.

Latest posts

Back