Todays purchase : 80's Raleigh Mustang

Re:

Although there's not much love for them on here it was a Mustang that first introduced me to mountain bikes. Lad I knew was the first to get one in the village around 1988 as the rest of us were on racers or bmx. He put it in first gear then let us take turns riding up the steep bank. I fell in love with MTB's on the spot so I always remember these fondly, along with various crap Peugeots and the green/white Appollo Blizzard that was stacked high in Halfords!

Re:

Well the truth is I paid quite a lot for it..£10.

I'd get more in scrap value ;)

I used to own one years ago, I sold it to a friend whom sadly died from Cancer a year or so later. He loved riding it cos he knew it was bomb proof and was retro even then.

Re:

That Mustang awakens old memories , some good , some not so good . In the late 80's my pride and joy , a Saracen Killi Conquest was stolen and my insurance did
not cover it . In the short term I ended up buying a Mustang from a local second hand shop . It was a pretty crude piece of kit , just look at the plate dropouts and
the way they are welded into the frame ! but at least it was a bike . As luck would have it when I next looked in the same shop , they had a mint Holdsworth road bike with a full Shimano 105 groupset for under £ 100 , which I bought and sold on for around £ 375 . This gave me enough funds to buy the Univega Alpina /AMP F1 that I still have . The Mustang was sold to a student who moved to London where it was stolen within days .

Back