Titanium bikes of the '80s/'90s

CC Rider

Dirt Disciple
Hello, I'm new to the forum and have searched but can't obviously find an answer to my question. If there's already a thread here please point me in the right direction. Thank you :)
I'm trying to find out who, other than Raleigh, made (currently affordable!) titanium bikes/frames in the '80s/'90s. I've come across Merlin but they seem pretty rare ... anyone else .... ?
I have a heavy old steel bike with some quite nice components that I'd like to put on a titanium frame - partly for the lauded ride quality but as much for looks as anything else!

The most widely available might be Litespeed (any) and a couple of Konas. Also there was a brand called Seven, and Dean, and Cove made the Hummer about the end of the 90's. I doubt you'll find many retro ti frames for less than £500, though.

Ah yes, I wasn't thinking about road bikes for some reason. I've only listed the mountain bike companies. And Moots! How could I forget Moots?

Litespeed, Ibis and Speedwell are the main ones in volume.

If you are in the market for a Litespeed I'm of half a mind to sell my 1994 Catalyst (51cm frame). I've owned it for 20 years but seem to be preferring something with mudguard clearance these days. :shock:

Re:

Thank you for the alternative make information.
What size? A few weeks ago I thought that was a simple question! The size depends a bit on the geometry but I think somewhere in the region of 52cm. I have a relatively short torso for my height so the driving factor, for me, is really the top tube length and I'm assuming I can fit a longer seat post if necessary.
(FYI - I currently ride a 54cm with a 6cm stem. Part of my original drive for wanting to upgrade was to get something smaller with more scope for adjustment rather than being on the stops as I currently am.)

Ideally I'm looking for frame/fork only so that I can build up a bike with the components that I have, however, I'm open to all options. Preferably I'd like to be able to fit mudguards, even if they are clip on ones.
Hamster - budget, size, mudguards etc. considered, your Catalyst could be of interest; perhaps you could provide a little more information ...? Also, I'm Salisbury based so you shouldn't be too far for me to take a look/try for size.

Re:

Thanks for the pm - unfortunately I'm too new to be able to respond that way :(
I don't want to break any forum rules having just joined! .... but would you be happy to provide an e-mail or alternative contact method?

Back