Titanium axles to replace Shimano's offering?

Benandemu":1h6j210v said:
Surely using alloy axles is no different from what most hub manufacturers do in their quest to drop weight.
If I cast my eye over my own collection of hubs they are all alloy axles...
White Industries
Hope
Middleburn
Nuke proof

I would rather use ti, but alloy should be fine.
Even if it snapped, it's still clamped in the fork!

Cheers for info, I'll get hunting...

For threaded they changed the design and generally increased the diameters to cope with the hubs , the thinner axle models e.g hope lightweight use cartridge bearing designed around no threads, they where also quite flexy because of this hence the rapid increase it large 'suspension' hubs

Dopping into the old thread.

I have been looking for a rear titanium or even aluminium axle for a shimano hub.

Does anyone seem some offering on these recently?

Regards

They seem to be around on ebay, not seen any new. Modern Shimano XT hubs have alloy axles already (to the detriment of the bearings which are smaller and wear rapidly, sadly)

Re:

Out of interest, why would an alloy axle cause more wear in the bearings? Surely the contact points with the bearings are the cups and cones.

Re:

Because the aluminium axles need to be a wider diameter. And at teh start hub sizes didntt get bigger so bearing had to reduce in size. Smaller bearing have a lower load rating so I guess even the increase in number doesn't counter it. Possible worse with dirt in the mix as well..
. contact angle is greater too but not so hot on the details and the race could compensate...
Anyway unless they increase everything leaving bearing the same size that happens. But then they get heavier...

Fluffy summed it all up very well. It's exactly the same story as Octalink: fat axle results in a smaller bearing - result is poor service life.

Re:

There's currently a batch of 15 NOS on ebay, but the shipping is somewhat prohibitive!

On the other hand, I have one in the shed I've never fitted...

Re: Re:

We_are_Stevo":mub7panq said:
There's currently a batch of 15 NOS on ebay, but the shipping is somewhat prohibitive!

Cant find these... any help on a URL would be appciated

Re: Re:

Yetidh9":3o1arn0k said:
We_are_Stevo":3o1arn0k said:

Cant find these... any help on a URL would be appciated

Search for...

Titanium axle shimano hub

...and select the 'Worldwide' option.

If you don't like the look of the Shipping charges, ask if I'd consider selling mine ;)

Back