Tips for night riding

Ed - it's amazing.

I kind of prefer it to day riding at the mo. And when you look at the figures, the speeds and averages are the same if not higher than the same tyrails in the day! I think it's because you focus down on what your lights actually illuminate and not all the periferal stuff.

Good lights and go out on the trails you know backwards. *And take a gun.

*(that was a joke).

ededwards":2tpql41f said:
Thanks guys, useful stuff.

I take it that it goes without saying that you don't ride alone at night?

It's much more fun riding on cold miserable nights wih your mates than by yourself, and if you get yourself an HID you can blind them by their own shadows if they have crappy halogens etc. ;)

I dont recommend nite riding on your own... althougth I do it occasionally :? .
if the person behind you has lighthouse type brightness lights it'll be darker than no lights at all due to your shadow! :roll:

limited burn time when its colder due to chemical reaction apparently.

1 of the major advantages of the newer lights is the smaller size & lower weight. my old cateye stadiums were over 2lb in weight which I really noticed.

hope LEDs are cheaper, only slightly less bright/white light with a slightly wider beam. most of my group are using either lumicycle or hope, both very good :)

ededwards":2upyq2tc said:
Wu-Tangled":2upyq2tc said:
And take a gun.

Why do you need a gun when a stub of pencil will do the job?

I should've seen that coming.

...but then you don't see them coming do you? That's the point of special forces...

:LOL: :shock:

I've done it only a few times, with just an LED head torch. Makes a mundane short ride into an epic adventure. And it's scary out in the woods on your own in the dark (thinks Blair Witch...)!

Just started riding off-road riding after dark with Argos cheapo (£40) LED lights and it's great. Twice the excitement with half the danger as you end up going slower (a bit). Go for it.

I done a lot of night riding in the past and recently taken it up again (see Thursday night rides at Chicksands in rides forum) I use two lights, a wide flood (Vistalite 10w lasts 1.5hrs) on the bars and a spot (Specialized Proview 15w lasts 2.5 hrs) mounted as a helmet light. Being able to see around corners is very useful you will find out. You don't need lights that last 8 hours, I'm sure you will be riding for less than 2 hours this time of year. Also charge times seem to be critical to manufacturers these days, they claim 4 hour charge times etc as being really important, as long as you can charge them over night is all you need to know. Remember to fully discharge the batteries before re-charging. The lights I use are not powerful compared to the lights advertised today but they have served me very well and continue to do so. Tip - don't use a rear light off road, it blinds the person following you, and, as said before don't ride alone.

Used to go in the late 80's with two Ever Ready Night Riders while MBUK were going on about Nightsuns' imported from the States etc.... Definitely makes for an amazing experience, takes ages to get to sleep later because you've been concentrating so much you're still buzzing...

All I use now is a cheap set of Smart Lights 2.5 and 10w halogen... Never had a problem and you can just about get a couple of hours out of them.

Best go in groups though IMO

Watch out for the doggers too !! ( Can make for some interesting viewing ) and deer..... :LOL:

Latest posts

Back