Tips for getting a tight tyre off?

setspeed

Retro Guru
I've recently come into possession of some wheels with Mavic MA40 rims, and they have Continental Contact Travel tyres mounted. I am literally finding it impossible to remove these tyres from the rims. I cannot even get a tyre lever underneath the wire bead.
Any tips?

I had this issue too and ended up cutting the tyre off and snapping the steel bead with piano wire cutters.

similar with my wheelchair tyres, it was a case of lots of time, swearing and screwdrivers and metal and snapping plastic levers, quality ones at that etc, strapping to compress they tyre and keep it in place (old clip straps work pretty well for that, or the quick clamp thingies for DIY.
Worst was then putting them back on with siilar effort and knowing i'd have to get them off again at some point.

I now have a fancy seating tyre lever thing, not tried it yet as not had the thrd puncure, fingerscrossed. Don't think they help getting it off.

similar with my wheelchair tyres, it was a case of lots of time, swearing and screwdrivers and metal and snapping plastic levers, quality ones at that etc, strapping to compress they tyre and keep it in place (old clip straps work pretty well for that, or the quick clamp thingies for DIY.
Worst was then putting them back on with siilar effort and knowing i'd have to get them off again at some point.

I now have a fancy seating tyre lever thing, not tried it yet as not had the thrd puncure, fingerscrossed. Don't think they help getting it off.
I'm hoping that once I've got these ones off, and I've removed the thick rim tape inside, then hopefully the rims will be usable with some Kevlar beaded tyres. No way will I put the same ones back on again. But then I guess there's more choice for bike tyres than for wheelchair ones?

MA40s are famous for being tight. Ive had them for 30 years and still do on my team marin.

The only advice i can offer is to try squishing some hair conditioner around the lip of the rim and making sure the opposite side of the tyre is right into the middle of the rim.

Then its 3 plastic levers.

I also DONT use wire beads on them.....at least with folding you can get them to stretch a bit.

The cutting off method is so satisfying knowing they’ve not got one over on you and are going in the bin! There definitely comes a point when you ask yourself what’s worth more, a scratch or chunk out of the rim or the tyres.

Last set I had this issue with I bought one of those tyre seating grips, Cyclepal or Cyclemate something like that. Used that to pull the tyre/bead away enough to be able to get a tyre lever under, they’re good as they have a lip that locates on the rim and gives better/consistent leverage. I’ve got a Park TL-10 workshop tyre tool, it’s got a nice strong but slim plastic wedge on it that is not often defeated. Cyclo make something similar but I’ve broken two of those! If you can get a decent wide cable tie sometimes it can wedge under the bead where a tyre lever cannot and you can use that to pull the tyre up or manipulate it enough to get the lever under.

Failing that hacksaw tread and cut beads from inside with wire cutters! As above.
If it comes to it, then I'll have to cut the tyre. But when I was deflating them I noticed a load of green slime coming out of the tube. I guess this is some kind of puncture protection. I don't want to end up cutting through the tube and making a right mess with the slime!

Latest posts

Back