tIB's Custom Pace RC300 build

Good info, thanks- I got a 113 for this purpose so will see how it pans out. Mech wise I'm relieved you arent using one- means mine should be ok!

Confirmed it was 113. And a complete bargain it was too (thanks Dan!). So confirmed that 113 will work with an RC200 with ATB size rings at the expense of not optimal chain line and FD settings.

Basically you have to put a big amount of pre-tension on the mech to get the lower range right. I seem to recall I wedged a rubber handled screw driving between frame and mech....

To be fair its a testament to Shimano's engineering that a compact mech will work with a 50t chain ring at all...

interesting build, I'm thnking that something similar might come along by way of my shed soon, keen to see how this turns out

Right, here's where I'm up to:

2016-08-11_01-13-56 by sonofprent, on Flickr

2016-08-11_01-21-07 by sonofprent, on Flickr

No issues with the chain rings as yet- went on a 113 axle with enough clearance (I think- is moving freely enough clearance?). I've been cautious with the front mech- seem to have found a position but will require some tweaking. The shim I made seems fine, albeit in a it scratched the lacquer over the carbon in a very small and unnoticeable way when adjusting! Biggest ballache was getting the brake hose through the frame... and then having to get it through a second time as I forgot the rear guide!

No rear mech as yet which will hinder completing it today... I might break and get the rear mech off my zaskar, since Id like something more colourful there anyway. We shall see!

Oh, and ignore that purple clamp thingy- that is just there until I decide whether these forks will stay or not... Im not sure about them on a roady conversion.

RickTheUncivil":1cdp6ovz said:
interesting build, I'm thnking that something similar might come along by way of my shed soon, keen to see how this turns out

I'm only accross that cat and fiddle so you can see it in person/have a ride at some point if you want...

tIB":2qwg2738 said:
RickTheUncivil":2qwg2738 said:

I'm only accross that cat and fiddle so you can see it in person/have a ride at some point if you want...

Live in Macc, work in Buxton. I think i hear the kettle boiling.....

^ Ha, you do!

More progress made- pretty pleased with how the forks have turned out, they will be staying for the time being! Note the slightly weird gripshift right and standard shifter left- I could change this (either way) but will try it out first... in my head it works well! Probably also need to change the type of panier thingy to a straight version if Im going to keep using it... about doubles the weight of the bike!

2016-08-11_03-49-56 by sonofprent, on Flickr

2016-08-11_03-51-50 by sonofprent, on Flickr

2016-08-11_03-50-11 by sonofprent, on Flickr

2016-08-11_03-56-22 by sonofprent, on Flickr

Mm that looks great mate and unless their are any issues i'd leave the forks on as the style looks bang on to me ..

Yeah it looks better than I expected (based on sticking the similar on ones on the p7 incidentally) so will most likely keep as is.

Tomorrow is gears day, which along with cutting the steerer and bleeding the rear brake is about all I have left to do!

Back