Thorn Raven Tour with Rohloff Hub - Excellent condition Reduced to £850

Thank you for all the comments. The problem I’ve had is the people that have approached me with offers have done so in the manner of the post above telling me what it’s worth or it’s going to cost £500 to service it. I had 3 bikes from within a deal for a houseful of antique furniture. I didn’t have them for nothing as I recognised the value, a member on here bought one from me. The price is not the main issue it’s the way people have approached me with offers, it’s nice to be nice even with a little haggle.

The CTC forum banned me for being a commercial dealer??? so next time I come across an interesting bike it won’t be posted on there!
So very true, make an offer don't insult the seller or buyer. Be nice. It is a fantastic bike I would love, my wife really would frying pan me as I have a few :)

My advice came from Rohloff in Germany. I emailed them to explain I was interested in a Rohloff hub bike without any kind of service history. I asked them whether it was worth buying. This is their answer in full:

"Unfortunately, I am unable to provide an answer as each unit will react differently over such a time period. It may be fine, it may not be. YOu see the SPEEDHUB is not 100% sealed as the main shell seals (and one within the hollow axle), have a dual purpose. These act as breatehrs to redfress air pressure imbalance. As air escapes, oil can be drawn out with it. As air enters the hub though, so can moisture be drawn in with it.

Worst case scenario - the hub will require a full revision at one of our Service Partners.
https://www.rohloff.de/en/company/worldwide
The cost of this is kept very transparent with us though. This service will have an MSRP of €299 (+/- for sales tax and currency fluctuation).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Stewart Stabik"

I then rang my nearest service centre:
Keep Pedalling (Service Partner)
23 Hilton Street
Manchester M1 1EL
Tel.: +44-(0)161-222-6015

They said the cost will be £300 to £500 depending on what they find.

The worst case scenario may not be the actual case but, being risk averse and not wanting to get stuck on a long haul trip, I would definitely opt for the full service.

The best of luck with the sale, this will probably be a brilliant bike for someone.

Thank you for your insite. As stated it is working perfectly but would obviously benefit from an oil change because it is not known when it was last done. Further than that I believe it’s a bit like rebuilding a diff or gearbox just because you don’t know when the oil was last changed. If it’s working change the oil and carry on.

So very true, make an offer don't insult the seller or buyer. Be nice. It is a fantastic bike I would love, my wife really would frying pan me as I have a few :)
If you would really like it pm me. I know you’re a very active member on this site and as stated it has been more how people have approached me than what they have offered. The frying pan I can do nothing about!

If you would really like it pm me. I know you’re a very active member on this site and as stated it has been more how people have approached me than what they have offered. The frying pan I can do nothing about!
@Guinessisgoodforyou the seller is about 30min from me if you want to feel the force of the frying pan. I'm considering it for the hub that'll work a treat on our cargo bike. Let me save myself by offering to throw you into the fryer(ing pan!) 🤣 🤣 🤣

My advice came from Rohloff in Germany. I emailed them to explain I was interested in a Rohloff hub bike without any kind of service history. I asked them whether it was worth buying. This is their answer in full:

"Unfortunately, I am unable to provide an answer as each unit will react differently over such a time period. It may be fine, it may not be. YOu see the SPEEDHUB is not 100% sealed as the main shell seals (and one within the hollow axle), have a dual purpose. These act as breatehrs to redfress air pressure imbalance. As air escapes, oil can be drawn out with it. As air enters the hub though, so can moisture be drawn in with it.

Worst case scenario - the hub will require a full revision at one of our Service Partners.
https://www.rohloff.de/en/company/worldwide
The cost of this is kept very transparent with us though. This service will have an MSRP of €299 (+/- for sales tax and currency fluctuation).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Stewart Stabik"

I then rang my nearest service centre:
Keep Pedalling (Service Partner)
23 Hilton Street
Manchester M1 1EL
Tel.: +44-(0)161-222-6015

They said the cost will be £300 to £500 depending on what they find.

The worst case scenario may not be the actual case but, being risk averse and not wanting to get stuck on a long haul trip, I would definitely opt for the full service.

The best of luck with the sale, this will probably be a brilliant bike for someone.
This is the generic response you'll get from any company if you buy their products second hand, all they can do is make you aware of the various possibilities as they obviously can't be held to account for anything. The price they list is for a thorough full service with full dissasembly. Seller says it operates fine. Oil change can be done at home, is cheap, not a problem at all.

This is the generic response you'll get from any company if you buy their products second hand, all they can do is make you aware of the various possibilities as they obviously can't be held to account for anything. The price they list is for a thorough full service with full dissasembly. Seller says it operates fine. Oil change can be done at home, is cheap, not a problem at all.
Exactly this 👇
they obviously can't be held to account for anything
Covering their arses!

Back