Thorn Raven Tour with Rohloff Hub - Excellent condition Reduced to £850

Titch66

Dirt Disciple
Thorn Raven Tour with Rohloff Hub frame sizing in photos

XT drivetrain and hubs

Strange fork steerer set up but at least its long enough!

Excellent condition

Sorry collection only either from South wales 2 mins off M4 or Forest of Dean

£1000 now reduced £850

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpeg
    IMG_2085.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2096.jpeg
    IMG_2096.jpeg
    642.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2098.jpeg
    IMG_2098.jpeg
    726.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2099.jpeg
    IMG_2099.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2097.jpeg
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2086.jpeg
    IMG_2086.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2095.jpeg
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    641.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2092.jpeg
    IMG_2092.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2089.jpeg
    IMG_2089.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hi,
I’m interested in the Raven. Can you provide some information about the bike’s use and servicing on the Rohloff.

How old is the bike, have you had it since new?

Also how many teeth on the rear cog?

Many thanks.

Hi I’m afraid I can’t answer many of your questions. I’m an antique dealer and the bike came to me as part of a deceased estate that I purchased. It was the furniture I was after not the bike but recognised the value of the bike. The bike appears in good condition as shown by the photos and the hub appears to operate properly. I will let you know the size of the rear cog tomorrow, the bike is at work.

Hi, is the bike still available please? I already have two rohloff eqipped bikes but, at the right price, this would fill a gap in my cycling armoury.
The Rohloff hub isn't a sealed unit and draws in air, complete with moisture, over time and this is why they have to have an oil change every year no matter how low the mileage. I'm assuming this particular bike may not have had had the required oil changes which will necessitate a full service in Manchester. The current price of such a service is between £350 and £500 depending on what needs replacing.
Therefore, I have to stress that I am interested but only at the right price - any thoughts please?
Thanks

The bike is fully functional and in my opinion really good condition. How an oil change and service would cost £500 I don’t know. I have already turned down an offer of £800. Hope this helps in your decision making.

@Titch66 nice bike if a bit of an odd set-up. But no doubt it was perfect for the previous owner.

The Rohloff hub is the draw on this one, although Thorn bikes are also quite sort after.

Price is about right. No Rohloff expert, but have friends who swear by them. It looks like it's been barely ridden judging by minimal wear on the sidewall of the rims from brake pads.

Saw this on Condor Cycles:

Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 22.49.41.png
I may get condemned by others, but can't see why it would need a full strip and rebuilt if just left parked-up for a while.

As you deal in antiques you'll be very aware of people trying it on to get a good price! ;)

I'm actually not far from where you're located, but my wife would kill me if I got another bike!!! 🤣 GLWS!

The setup is very "normal" for a thorn. Unfortunately these are harder to sell at the moment for some reason and I'd expect £800 to be closer. The other guy is trying to have you on. I'm an ex mechanic and even a full strip and rebuild including a bearings grease, new cables and oil would come to about £150 and I doubt that is needed.

Thank you for all the comments. The problem I’ve had is the people that have approached me with offers have done so in the manner of the post above telling me what it’s worth or it’s going to cost £500 to service it. I had 3 bikes from within a deal for a houseful of antique furniture. I didn’t have them for nothing as I recognised the value, a member on here bought one from me. The price is not the main issue it’s the way people have approached me with offers, it’s nice to be nice even with a little haggle.

The CTC forum banned me for being a commercial dealer??? so next time I come across an interesting bike it won’t be posted on there!

Back