THM's Road/Trail Tour Experience 2016

You could probably manage with a large carradice style saddle bag and a bar bag. Or one of those post mounted pannier racks and bags. I've got one in the shed if you're interested. Also have some throw over style panniers going spare. You are restricted to 15kg i think on the post mounted rack but that would be plenty for posh B&B touring.

Re:

Back to monstay Farm today until Saturday with her and hounds. Full base camp routine this time. No room for bike. :|

Re:

Back again from going back again.

Missed my bike. And my little tent. And the solitude.

d60582edf80b84b62279d6d64222b282_zpsroxabch3.jpg

great write up and ride THM, thanks for sharing it. I'm gradually beginning to persuade my better half that this is the way forward...

Thanks. It's wonderful to be away. Next year I might get driven up to Derbyshire or similar and get abandoned.

b37b73a176b77dd3da09430f9bd77d36_zpslkv9fz3n.jpg

I suppose base camps have their advantages.
1ec0e7fd704de8d284784e60abed718f_zpszkc83lss.jpg

That was us right there.
1f08708c6b2b4730ef36a43d458eb3ff_zpsxltlzuac.jpg

Nice write-up. To all the critics: touring is definitely about finding what is right for you in terms of the amount of kit versus speed and comfort. There is no right answer and a spacious tent is a real benefit if the weather is unsettled. Some people will happily eat roadkill and sleep in a bin bag; others take folding chairs and books to read.

@shedofbits:
Definitely carrying things on your back is awful for anyone on a long day. If you are B&Bing then at least you don't have to take as much stuff as camping. It's worth considering a Carradice SQR system.
SQR-Tour-Profile.jpg

I use the Carradice bag for short tours, typically for 4-5 days B&B (plus a barbag for valuables and maps etc). If touring with one of my sons then I go with two panniers simply because I take his stuff too.

Great thread.

I used to ride from Huntingdon to Hunstanton on me Zaskar with a rack and rucksack plus a 3 man lightweight tent (which I still have btw and use in its 22nd year). Leave at midday and arrive around 7pm in time for tea, usually snoring by 8.30pm.

No mat either, just a bag on 'soft' ground - yes, sore hips next day, damn my childbearing shape!

Mostly powered by cadbury's fuse bars at the time.

KGrHqRrQFHZ5focbBR++3cyjOw60_35.jpg

My thermarest base camp had arrived. 2 inches of depth and loveliness. If anybody wants my us military 1 inch jobbie £17.50 posted. As I say if you're lighter than me it would be fine. Chuck Norris uses one.

Re:

THM :p

What panniers Racks and folding stove are you using if you don't mind me asking ?

Drawing up a list ready for next years maiden tour.

Back