THM's Road/Trail Tour Experience 2016

Re:

What you really want is one of these..

I can't believe there's still a market for that sort of thing. Surely nobody that's used a modern, lightweight, dome, dunnel, tunnel type tent that you can pitch in 2 minutes would ever go back to a heavy, single skin canvas tent with steel poles.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":2njwkneq said:
What you really want is one of these..
stormhaven-tent.jpg

http://www.blacksofgreenock.co.uk/patro ... 6ZnDrgrLnE

Bloody hell, that takes me back to my scouting days!

Drifts off into a wistful haze

Mike

Interestingly I saw a scout camp with a row of these while touring. Used as mess tents. Sides rolled up etc. I like them. My troop had olive green ex army ones with square wooden poles. Happy days.

Dagenham girl pipers before you ask.

1st Syston 10th Leicester scouts. Two week of summer fun.

Re:

I fit was my sort of thing, I'd drive somewhere to a camping site, and get one of those tents out, over the modern type.
Made to last.

Mike

Re:

I was quite taken with mine. Lovely pleasing pitching process and lines.

DSC00144_zpskkwqzgqo.jpg

Re:

Great thread THM, very inspirational. Each year when I'm visiting the family in the U.K. I take a weeks me time for cycle touring, [Lakes, Cornwall, SDW, Dark Peak, C 2 C].

I've sold all of my Polaris camping kit as the only time I go under canvas these days is if it's a beer tent. :)

Anyway, advice please: My spine won't take anything heavier than a Camelback so I would still like to use panniers and a rear rack for a B + B tour of Radnorshire.

As I don't have a bike with rack mounts my options seem to be a] Find adaptors to fit my rack to a disk braked MTB frame, b] A seat post mounted platform or c] Saddlebag with a bar bag. Has anyone any experience of any of these?

Thanks in advance.

Back