Things you've learnt during your builds...

It will never be quite right and there is always the one part or final adjustment that it needs to be complete.

Even if its all spot on, you will find something if you look hard enough or at least imagine you have

1. It will never be "finished"

2. To get to this "near finished state" it will cost more than you thought.

3. Once at this near finished state you may have "worries" relating to replacements

4. That "face down a$$ up riding posistion" you thought your back would take - will lead to needing physiotherapy.

5. Those period tyres "don't" and infact "never did" grip in the wet - get over it..

It'll never be finished

It'll never be your last

Its fun

Its expensive

Its never perfect

What my favourite component is...for some reason I can't resist a nice chainset and have loads of them in the bits box.

i have learnt to not jam ya finger betwixt chain and big ring when fitting a new chain.....its pointless and very painful....also using ya head to slow the rate of descent when flying sans wings is also a dumbas thing to do..... :D

I've learned to put more planning into a build and buy parts that are co-ordinated instead of just buying the first parts that i find that will fit and do the job.

BITD the first frame i built up was a Zaskar LE (bought new), ended up with a load of cheap crap on it just to get it riding, also back then i didn't know there was a difference between gear and brake cable outers and ended up using one for the other, for a while i didn't know why the gears and brakes were so crap :LOL:

I learned that:

➡️ What you think you are going to like does not always work out.
➡️ It is ok to change your mind.
➡️ You don't need a reason.
➡️ No one else has to understand or like it.

Back