the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Re:

I need some help finding suitable flared drop bars in 25.4mm size, the majority seem to be 31.8 these days.
I used to have some On One Midge bars in 25.4 I'm sure :? But I don't see them listed anymore?
Been considering the Nitto Randonneur bars but not sure if they actually flare outwards at the drops?

Ideally looking for a fairly wide drop bar, with a bit of flare at the drops (doesn't need to be as extreme a flare as the Midges though).

Re:

I would actually say a Nitto rm-3. Planet X sometimes have them pretty cheap. I think it’s pretty similar to the classic WTB rm-2, which is a very nice bar. They have more space in the drops than midges, which are otherwise nice bars.

Thanks guys, I think the Rm-013 would suit me better, the Midge was a nice bar but a bit too much flare for me, I think I'd find the same with the RM-3 bars tbh.
The Nitto bars are a bit more than I wanted to spend (compared to the Midge bars anyway), but they're good quality .

I bought a set of 42cm/25.4mm Nitto B135AA Randonneur bars from Planet X for my drop bar Orange P7. Nice bit of flare on them, and a well shaped sweep to the tops. Kinda wished I’d gone for the 44cm option though, as riding on the tops is a little narrow and twitchy!

As luck would have it I managed to find some (cheap) used Midge bars in the right diameter, I'll give them another try, personally I think I found them a little too flared last time, and standard road bars without flare didn't suit me either. I did use some modern (31.8 ) bars with 12* or so of flare and they worked well for me, but I need 25.4mm bars for this build.
The build is going ahead slowly...

Just a passing bump. If I pull my finger out / get bored I'll finally get a DB build together over autumn and post it up here. The bits have only being gathering dust for 2 years now.

mikael":20b46yng said:
7 speed bar-end shifters do not seem to exist. Does anybody have experience with 7-speed rear derailleurs and 8-speed bar-end shifters? Will the microSHIFT BS-T08 or Shimano 8-speed ones work well in indexed mode with a 7-speed derailleur (in this case a 1992? Deore LX derailleur)?

You have to buy 80s Suntour/Shimano/Campagnolo bacon shifters. They work.

Bars: Specialized RM-2 or RM-3. Everything else is modern stuff. Isn't this a RETRObike community?

mikael":3smq0xfs said:
7 speed bar-end shifters do not seem to exist. Does anybody have experience with 7-speed rear derailleurs and 8-speed bar-end shifters? Will the microSHIFT BS-T08 or Shimano 8-speed ones work well in indexed mode with a 7-speed derailleur (in this case a 1992? Deore LX derailleur)?

Right! As in the other thread;

10spd Shimano ROAD shifters work with just about any Shimano MTB/ Road mechs as far back as 1987

10spd Shimano MTB shifters only work with Shimano MTB mechs

So, keeping it retro looking you can use your existing M550 LX rear mech with 10spd barcon/ bar-end shifting (and the front mech too)

I was lucky and picked up some Dura-Ace bar end shifters for £40 brand new. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=394205&p=2913755&hilit=clements#p2913755

file.php

Back