the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

any other "rules" apply ?

got an old 91 gate like dale in the shed might bump it up the project
ladder

mikee":6gfb5c1s said:

Just don't use road drops, use flared MTB ones like Specialized dirt drops or those On One variants.

Flared bars are wider like normal MTB bars. They are flared so that you spend more time on the drops rather than riding on the hoods of the brakes as you would with road bars, this means that you have full control of your brakes and can stop quickly which can't be done as easily on the tops of hoods. They are also a load more comfy off road and are safer as they were designed for off road use

pete_mcc":2osfr8w9 said:
mikee":2osfr8w9 said:

Just don't use road drops, use flared MTB ones like Specialized dirt drops or those On One variants.

Flared bars are wider like normal MTB bars. They are flared so that you spend more time on the drops rather than riding on the hoods of the brakes as you would with road bars, this means that you have full control of your brakes and can stop quickly which can't be done as easily on the tops of hoods. They are also a load more comfy off road and are safer as they were designed for off road use

I cant see how theres much diference off-road to yanking hard on the bars whilst trying to climb a big French hill.

4331979531_06c63ddd7c_b.jpg

As a coincidence to this thread I'd been looking at flared drops for while.
What is the preferred option. I've looked at WTB Mountain Road Bars and On-One Midge Bars.
Anything else I should be considering?

drystonepaul":1ibl608j said:
What is the preferred option. I've looked at WTB Mountain Road Bars and On-One Midge Bars.

whatever you find comfortable.

legrandefromage":2l3plopo said:
drystonepaul":2l3plopo said:

whatever you find comfortable.

Cheers LGF. When I say looked at, it's just that, pictures only. Perhaps I should really have asked which ones people have tried and which ones they find comfortable and would recommend.

GT-Steve":1u4cjfl3 said:
The Yeti in pic2 is uber-cool :cool: :cool: :cool: IMO, and the Pace in the third pic aint too shabby either :) :cool:
I mightve to dig a set of drop bars out of the garage, hunt for a high rise stem, and have a go myself.... ;) :cool:

the first 3 pics are all yetis - all in fact tomac's yetis too!

legrandefromage":2w749lgy said:
I cant see how theres much diference off-road to yanking hard on the bars whilst trying to climb a big French hill.

Personally I prefer parts that were designed for the purpose and off road is tougher on parts and bits have to be made stronger to cope, that's why you'll never see a downhill championship being won on a steel colnago road bike with 19mm tyres. Added to that you don't get decent control with a narrow set of road bars or the ability to really lever on tough granny ring climbs

Back