the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

What's involved in putting drop bars on a mtb and what do you do to change gears?? Is it simply a case of transferring road gears over or is it more complex than that?

Only been cycling a few months and never come across this before.

The bikes look awesome with drop bars i think. Makes it look like a ride anywhere do anything machine.

Bar end levers sometimes referred to as barcons for gears and normal road levers for cantilever brakes.

Using road sti with mtb front mechs can be troublesome due to differing cable pull.

There are specific road levers for v brakes to if you want. Or disc or roller or drum.

Hello Retrobike, longtime lurker here saw this thread and thought " that's what I'm doing to my old Giant " so here it is. This was the first bike I had that fitted properly (after the first two that I was supposed to grow into, unfortunately I never got above 5'6"). The F&F were swapped for my 18" Diamond Back in summer 94, then ridden for a year til I got my hands on an Orange Prestige, It sat about for years until it was rediscovered and rebuilt a couple of years ago. rode a couple of times and just sat there (Modern mtbs are just nicer to ride offroad IMHO). Sentiment won't allow me to get rid of it, It's worth nothing anyway(hi-ten frame, nice colour though), so I decided to turn it into a pootler for leisurely road/bikepath rides. What do you think? Sorry for the rubbish photo!
If anyone can help with the year this was made it would be nice to know, assuming late 80's/very early 90's

Attachments

• DSC_0145.jpg
    DSC_0145.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 712
benjabbi":jxbcoadn said:
Hello Retrobike, longtime lurker here saw this thread and thought " that's what I'm doing to my old Giant " so here it is. This was the first bike I had that fitted properly (after the first two that I was supposed to grow into, unfortunately I never got above 5'6"). The F&F were swapped for my 18" Diamond Back in summer 94, then ridden for a year til I got my hands on an Orange Prestige, It sat about for years until it was rediscovered and rebuilt a couple of years ago. rode a couple of times and just sat there (Modern mtbs are just nicer to ride offroad IMHO). Sentiment won't allow me to get rid of it, It's worth nothing anyway(hi-ten frame, nice colour though), so I decided to turn it into a pootler for leisurely road/bikepath rides. What do you think? Sorry for the rubbish photo!
If anyone can help with the year this was made it would be nice to know, assuming late 80's/very early 90's

Looks nice that! 1992 I believe

Here's another, this time a snapshot of my heavily disguised cyclo cross inspired winter workhorse. Based around a shop soiled 631 cross country race frameset, it sports an eclectic mix of STX, LX and 105 components.

Attachments

• MTB based crosser cum workhorse.png
    MTB based crosser cum workhorse.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 655
I'm looking to put drop bars on one of my bikes. I've already got levers, shifters and bars. I've been searching for a LD style stem. Has anyone had one built by Clockwork Bikes? They look good and the price seems reasonable. 3 month waiting list isn't too bad either.

stems.jpg

iveto1983":2p8ofuhk said:
They look good and the price seems reasonable.
Tubing is too large a diameter and the bend isn't sharp enough (if you like the look of the originals); and the hole for the star nut access is scary and ugly. For a bike with 1-1/8" steerer and threadless, I much prefer this:

9446197555_848886d6c0_b.jpg

Bought a pair of On One Midges ages back and ran them on my Pomp but never got on with them.

They've been kicking around the garage ever since and this thread is making me think fitting them to my Surly 1x1 would be a good idea. I thought about it before then found myself with a spare HS33 so fitted that to the bike which put the Midges out the window but I've gone back to a canti on the front for tyre clearance now so nothing to stop me.

Just been out and given it a little play and I think it looks alright. Just need to decide on a set of drop bar levers though, any recommendations of something nice but not too pricey?

photo5_zps973e6bc4.jpg

photo1_zps91d0a731.jpg

Tektro R200 are very nice, cantilever friendly options for the money(c.£25). There'so also a V brake compatible sibling (RL520) should you feel so inclined. Had great results with both before eventually upgrading to some very fetching Microshift brifters, although the RL520's deeply recessed mounting bolt required a very long 5mm (T handle) Allen key.

Back