The ultimate Q car?

Does it actually work, or is it always in and out the garage being fixed?

Everyone I know who has ever had a turbo or supercharger add on, or extensive tuning, has ended up with a car that works for maybe one day a year.

I'll add the Merc 190 2.3/ 2.5 16v jobbies aswell as these Cosworth badged cars were almost as quick as a 500 SEC or a 560 SEC.

thank you, legrandefromage! You are a good man!

Didn't the 190 have the big wing?,..or was that just the EVO?

now when we are talking EVO's,...

Originally DB started with 2.3-16 which had just small spoiler at the back, wider wheelarches, plastics on the bottom bart of doors and different fromt bumper. These ones were available in beige metallic or black metallic paint only. Then 2.5-16 was introduce which looked exactly the same but was available also in red metallic and silver. Then Merc introduced 2.5-16 EVO1 with bigger wheels (16" instead of 15") which needed bigger wheelarches - this time they were round, not flat like in regular 190. Bigger rear spoiler was added to improve aerodynamics - 502 units were manufactured. The ultimate 190 was 2.5-16 EVO2 (502 units too) with biggest wheelarches and huge wing in the back. It had e500 brakes and 17' alloys - all was essential, as DTM rules allowed only 2" bigger wheels than in production cars so to have 19" for racing 17" had to be installed. Both EVO1 and EVO 2 were essentially black metallic (colour code 199) but the last two units of EVO2 were silver for AMG.
Should I say EVO2 or EVO1 are my dreamcars?

Attachments

• 2.5-16 EVO1.jpg
    2.5-16 EVO1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,111
Defiant":5uptkbzn said:
Saab 900 Turbo aero/viggen

Alfa 147 GTA

The guy I bought my 156 from has the Autodelta GTA. Devastatingly quick but not at all stealthy Q car- in fact from the front it looks like Darth Vaders head on steriods. So that's not going in the Q car hall of fame.

Dr S":2ufey8nd said:
Defiant":2ufey8nd said:
Saab 900 Turbo aero/viggen

Alfa 147 GTA

The guy I bought my 156 from has the Autodelta GTA. Devastatingly quick but not at all stealthy Q car- in fact from the front it looks like Darth Vaders head on steriods. So that's not going in the Q car hall of fame.

HEHEHE,..WELL,..IT IS GOING IN MINE! ;) Especially the Bianco Nuvola :p

retrojon":3u6l7wyg said:
Does it actually work, or is it always in and out the garage being fixed?

Everyone I know who has ever had a turbo or supercharger add on, or extensive tuning, has ended up with a car that works for maybe one day a year.

Yes it gets used and is very reliable. Its thrown it's belts twice but that is sorted now and has since done 8,000 trouble free miles. Hes got it in for underbody rustproofing as it's getting daily winter use. Won't see it again until it's next service.

Si

what does Q mean exactly ? is it just another term only used on the interweb ?

whats its quarter mile time doc ? the power is worthless without a slip to prove its worth , just numbers otherwise

''...A sleeper (US English) or Q-car (British English) is a car that has high performance and an unassuming exterior. Sleeper cars are termed such because their exterior looks little or no different from a standard or economy-class car (or in some cases worse due to seeming neglect on the owners part), but internally they are modified to perform at higher performance levels. The American term possibly comes from how an aggressive animal can seem gentle or perhaps friendly until awoken, while the British term may derive from the Q-ships used by the Royal Navy, or the fictional character "Q" from the James bond 007 series.

The earliest known reference to the term 'Q-car' is in the February 1963 edition of Motor Sport magazine (published in the UK since 1924). The editor, Billy Boddy, said of the Lotus Cortina ~ "...the modifications carried out by Lotus have turned it in to a 'Q' car par excellence...".

Its not really about just straight line performance, its a whole lot more. 1/4 mile is pretty pointless for a car than can corner better than a fast straight line car.

That Monaro is a proper Q car. :cool:

The others are just wannabes. Proper Q cars have stupid big American V8's that produce 'real' horsepower not the pretend stuff you get with Euro boxes and ricers.

Mind you, I'm not sure how stealthy it would be with the sound effects turned on! :shock: :D

I want one, but to be the ultimate in Q it'd have to be a pickup.

Tut tut

Lancia 8.32

Eurobox (Saab 9000/ Lancia Thema/ Fiat Chroma/ Alfa 164) with a Ferrari V8 in it?

Now thats a Q car!

The Holden isnt, is just built that way, you cant go and buy a diesel model or a 2.0 'sport' model.

Just realized - Rover 75 V8, now theres a bit of a Q car.

Back