The rise & fall of U-Brakes (?)

JCS

Kona Fan
Hi all
So, U-brakes...
When I first got into MTB's in the late 80's all the top end bikes had them, and in most cases they were attached to the chainstays. This gave the bike a 'clean' look (in my view) however this set-up was a dirt trap and was not popular.
By the time I saved enough dough to buy a proper MTB, U-brakes had died a death.
It seemed like from 88 to 89 they virtually disappeared?
I have never ridden a bike with a U-brake, but I still think they look very cool.
I would love to hear any comments and pics of cool U-Braked rides... did any of you buy a U-Brake equiped bike when they were new?

I reckon its all about rightful progress.
They worked just as well, in that they stopped the bike, as any other type.
Chainstay location has multi issues where, seat stay mounts just got phased out.
The 90's saw a big aftermarket flood of goodies where, saving a gram here and there was life and death! Maybe a factor for u brakes?
Tech just kept moving on. The evidence that pads are a tough ask to get (the real ones. Not a botched v brake pad) suggest that they may stay dead. Disc is king now.

I enjoyed my bianchi though. Long gone.

20120805_110754.jpg

My, newly acquired 1986 Ross has them front and rear. My 1991 Zaskar has them on the back. Not much to say about them. The bike industry moved on for a reason. Cool for nostalgia sake.

Attachments

• 20220326_095349.jpg
    20220326_095349.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220326_095339.jpg
    20220326_095339.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20220119_131728.jpg
    20220119_131728.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 36
Got two bikes with U-brakes, Fat Chance with XT under the chainstay, and a Marin with it in the usual place, a late model to carry them but considerate as the frame is 17'' and u-brakes stick out less than cantis.

I agree about the clean aesthetic, the FC looks lovely from behind.

I bought a frame with front and rear U-brake mounts, but because I wanted to use roller cams which need the same mounts, sadl;y it was stolen before I got my hands on it. PA044215.JPG P3120137.JPG P5313228.JPG

Never having ridden a set of u brakes, I am curious. How do they compare to cantilever brakes for braking power? V brakes were a monumental improvement over cantis, I've always assumed there was a similar difference from the u to the canti. The cable pull is just that much more in the wrong direction.

U brakes imho are a bit stronger braking, but lack finesse of control, mainly due to agrivated cable routes and the ever present water/ dirt ingress issues.

I bought a saracen toughtrax in 87?.? I think.....it was 87? I used it as a work hack...that had a chainstay u brake.....it was always filled with crap, needed a lot of fettling and in the real world was no better than cantilevers.....ie you could lock the wheel with either!

I do agree that the seemingly hated v brakes were considerably better than both in imho.

Now, my swallow has front and rear xt u brakes, to be honest its not changed my opinion......they will grab well, but control is less compared with cantilevers.

U brakes i consign to the "great theoretical idea and a wonderful marketing reinvention of the wheel" category......says it all really, that after 2 or so years they vanished without a trace to be replaced with their predecessor!

From a friend who had a specialized stumpjumper comp with them bitd, he reckoned without regular maintenance and careful watching they had a tendency to eat tyres. As they wear, the blocks move towards the tyre, while cantilever brakes moved spoke-wards as they wore.

Back