The Raleigh ...... build (advice on decals rqd, see page 3)

Re: The Raleigh ? build....

I made my headset press from a length of studding (threaded bar) that's longer than the headtube, and use a piece of wood on either end and then 2 nuts. Press one cup in at a time.

Update:

I've fitted the headset using (wait for it...)

A sash cramp and 2 pieces of wood!

1 cup at a time, with very minor adjustments to ensure it went it straight

Needless to say, I am very pleased with myself :)

Job done, which just leaves me to work out how to fit the BB without visiting the LBS!

Re:

See if there is anyone close by with the correct tool that can either help out for ten minutes, or lend it to you for the day.

Worth asking in both the mtb sections.

Thanks NeilM

I have now posted in all sections

Karma beer awaits if someone lives near Ipswich that can help/lend!

MrW":jqodg4eo said:
Update:

I've fitted the headset using (wait for it...)

A sash cramp and 2 pieces of wood!

1 cup at a time, with very minor adjustments to ensure it went it straight

Needless to say, I am very pleased with myself :)

Job done, which just leaves me to work out how to fit the BB without visiting the LBS!

Well done :) Always very satisfying doing things like that.

I "think" this is the tool you need to install the bottom bracket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BB-Bottom-Bra ... 540a18cd24

Looks like a fancy spanner to me!
Why not get one as they're cheap enough ( Of course there will be much more expensive tools available, and that is totally up to you if you decide on one)
It's an ideal chance to add to your bike tool chest :)

You'll also get no end of satisfaction lending this tool (and others) out to cycling buddys that may need it :)

Cheers

Richard.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This project just got a little more exciting for me when I received something via email this morning...

(just a taster for now...)

Thanks

Just awaiting bar tape to arrive and the new decals need sorting, plus I need to 'sort' some SPD pedals, and buy some shoes to go with them!

oh, and shorten that chain!

Re:

Wow!! that's very nice MrW,

Depenending on if you'd prefer road or mtb style, MTB shoes cleats tend to be small and inset in the sole, whereas road cleats are larger and stand proud on the sole making them more difficult to walk in. I use Shimano M520 SPD pedals, they are cheap as chips at £16-£17 a pair (mtb style) I use them on my kellogg's because I have an mtb with SPD's so I can use the same pair of shoes for both bikes, The shimano SH56 cleats are the better ones to have as the unclip far easier and have more unclip angles than the standard SH51 cleats.
I use
Shimano XC30 SPD shoes
Shimano M520 Pedals (available in Black or silver or white)
Shimano SH56 Cleats

I could probably lend you a set of pedals and cleats if you can get hold a a pair of shoes to see how you get on with them.

Back