The No Longer Avoidable Independence Debate Thread

Were we to vote for independence I fear Salmond may take to nakedly stalking the Highland glens, bearing a stag on his shoulders to his woodland fort, spit roasting it for the throng he would entice with dreams of marching on London.

One thing I am certain of is that this referendum will not be the end of the matter.

Salmond is well aware of his deficiencies when matched against that master statesman Putin.

When did you last see a UK leader able to match this...

putinbear.jpg

putin-riding-bearsharktopus-FO3cAi.jpg

PutinRidingCrane.jpeg

I was going to post that pic, but on closer examination it's actually David Cameron in a muscle suit, and the only thing he's brave enough to ride is a biscuit...

Mr Panda":1pa8gibm said:
:twisted:

Just wondering if anyone has seen evidence proving we'll be better off if we go it alone..........

I haven't but am open to persuasion, I just need hard facts on which to base an important decision. Even a few would be nice. Wee ones would do in the absence of biggies. Biggies certainly would be better however.

Anyone? No? Hmmmm.........

:twisted:

Great Putin pics! I fear that Eck's 6-pack would look more like mine, so he'd best keep shirt on :(

Is Mr Panda asking the right question? Has anyone seen evidence proving we'll be worse off if we go it alone..........
Seen plenty unsupported opinion and many lies and half-truths, but nothing very substantial. I wonder how much folks' take on this depends how p..sed off they are with business as usual.

Now the science bit .... The way I see is is it is all lies from both sides so the facts are somewhere betweeen both sides, which actually means it will probably be about the same as it is now but self governed - so to me it is marginally in favour of independance.

ok this isn't scientific :)

The thing is, if as the doom merchants say, we'll be worse off, then we can change it.

A government for Scotland is more likely to be driven by the need to satisfy a Scottish electorate than one run from Westminster which (rightly) has bigger fish to fry.

None of the nations that have gone independent have gone cap in hand to their previous masters asking to be allowed back, so unless Scots are dumber than them, I'd expect the same here.

is this decision really down to wanting to be better or worse off.

to me it's a question of independence or remaining part of the UK.

has being part of the uk served you well?
do you believe that you will loose benefits of being a uk citizen?
do you want your national identity to be British or Scottish?

I know what I think in the above points.

firmly believe that we'll not be worse off, but nothing is for sure. the only thing that I know for sure is that it will not be financially disastrous.

epicyclo":11rhckkq said:
The thing is, if as the doom merchants say, we'll be worse off, then we can change it.

Well said. Were we to vote "yes", we'd be entering a process of nation building. I'm endlessly astonished at how many folk I speak to that view a "yes" vote as a vote for the SNP. Nothing of the sort. Simply a vote for another way of doing things.

Back