the new asda bike advert

Bugger!! I was looking out for the "wrong forks" advert last night and I couldn't see anything amiss ... they must've already changed the advert!! Grr!!

Not fair!! :p

lets face it as a yoof your bike is just something to get you from where you are to where you want to be regardless of what state its in , it gets treated like like a heap so it doesnt need to be amazing for going to your mates house . those that like riding a bike will learn why the bike is shite and how to fix it later progressing onto better things

the problem is the people who cant spot good from bad and thats not just cycling . these are people who no matter what they buy couldnt work out simple matters of quality

i guess it comes down to trading standards letting something that clearly couldnt compete in a world cup downhill be advertised as having that image

ive spoken to plenty of people who for some reason think that a "mountain bike " will be the right bike to get them to work and back each day . sadly these are the same people who think that big knobblie tyres have more grip and last longer

i dont know who is more to blame . cycling itself for letting these be called " mountain bikes " and leaving it to the individual to learn about every aspect of cycling or society in general for having a throw away attitude to everything and forgetting that buying something with quality will last longer and hold a value even if you do only ride for 2 weeks . either way as cyclists we shouldnt mock these poor wayward souls we see out struggling with the wrong equipment we should hang our heads in shame that we let it get to the point where people can buy this stuff

does anyone know how these things are getting past the cen standard ?

perry":3sgq9f3q said:
these are the same people who think that big knobblie tyres have more grip and last longer

Reminds me of a customer that came in the shop with a puncture and wouldn't get it into his head that a mountain bike tyre was just as susceptible to punctures as a road bike. His answer when I told him it was a puncture and not a warranty problem was "But it's a mountain bike!". :roll:

perry":3sgq9f3q said:
does anyone know how these things are getting past the cen standard ?

If it's anything like some of the less scrupulous PC PSU manufacturers then they spare no expense to make the psu/bike that they send in for testing. When it's approved they then cut corners on the production line, usually by substituting lower quality parts. :evil:

Back