the new asda bike advert

Err, surely these bikes are good for cycling? The link to the Guardian ad basically showed lots of folk had bought a crappy bike and then gone to a good bike shop and either bought one that wasn't junk or had got the shop to repair the bike they'd bought. I'm sure the bike shop, whilst grumbling at having to dirty their hands fixing a heap actually welcomed people spending money and become the 'good guy' for fixing the thing.

With competition on the web, you can save a lot of money on parts, my LBS only gets my cash for wheel work or headset installation as I don't have a press. I feel kind of guilty when I shop elsewhere, so am glad if they can make a buck off somebody else!

SP

The problem with them is their fundamental dishonesty.
They are never, ever right, even when someone with a workshop and bike skills sets them up.
If you put a wanted ad up here for a £70 bike, you'd get something that was much, much better, and safer. It's a well known fact that many of these bikes have brake arms that are made of cheese. ;)

chris667":3kz25i6f said:
The problem with them is their fundamental dishonesty.
They are never, ever right, even when someone with a workshop and bike skills sets them up.
If you put a wanted ad up here for a £70 bike, you'd get something that was much, much better, and safer. It's a well known fact that many of these bikes have brake arms that are made of cheese. ;)

From the Guardian article:

"3. The brakes are made from plastic, rather than more expensive aluminium, and so will flex and bend..."

Blimey!

Splatter Paint":2dc1puk4 said:
Err, surely these bikes are good for cycling? The link to the Guardian ad basically showed lots of folk had bought a crappy bike and then gone to a good bike shop and either bought one that wasn't junk or had got the shop to repair the bike they'd bought. I'm sure the bike shop, whilst grumbling at having to dirty their hands fixing a heap actually welcomed people spending money and become the 'good guy' for fixing the thing.

With competition on the web, you can save a lot of money on parts, my LBS only gets my cash for wheel work or headset installation as I don't have a press. I feel kind of guilty when I shop elsewhere, so am glad if they can make a buck off somebody else!

SP

These bikes are awful, awful shite and shouldnt be allowed anywhere near kids or inexperienced riders. Its the worst kind of marketing possible.

a bit before finding this site, i picked up a hack from halfords for 50 quid, and yes they do make you disillusioned with cycling, now with tons of good retrobikes, im just disillusioned with ever paying my credit card off. I wouldnt even buy one now for a pub bike, rather have a good old retro hack.

chris667":3c17xh6d said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jul/22/asda-cheap-bike

The Guardian haven't given them a glowing report. :roll:

Grrrrrrr. You had to mention the sodding Guardian didn't you! Of course they would think its crap, it wasn't designed by Norman Foster and built in a fluffy eco factory that empowers and positively changes the lives of poor little one armed orphans in Sudan, whilst playing Jack Johnson's new fluffy pile of wank album at the same time was it. Yes I know the bike is crap, but I hate the sodding Guardian!!!!

How sodding typical that they tested it on Primrose Fu**ing Hill and managed to patronise Yarkshire Folk in the same breath, Primrose Hill indeed, I'll give em Primroise bloody Hill alright!

How dare they diss quill stems FFS!! :twisted: :twisted:

I'm off to set fire to the local papershop.

Cycling is getting too damn popular for it's own good...... I'm not sad if a few punters have a bad experience, maybe they all won't turn up to the 'trail centres' on a Sunday and hurt themselves anymore! :twisted:

SP

i have had my eyes on the tele to see this advert and caught it at last about half hour ago i had to pause it rewind and look again :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If you're particularly bored, I'll tell you a bit of my professional history.
BITD I used to work in social care, and a big part of my job was getting the people I used to work with cycling, as general transport and to enjoy a bit of fun.
One of the most frustrating parts of the job was convincing my superiors that a bike which cost £40 new was not a bargain.
One guy had a fs machine that was almost impossible to ride. He used to get tired riding from his home just outside Reading to the town centre. He then managed to get a rigid bike that was even worse (amazing that such a thing is possible!), I couldn't ride it in a straight line, and I'm good at cycling. People thought he just wasn't particularly fit or good at cycling.
I took him on holiday for a couple of days, and the bike had an "accident", because I saw a secondhand Dawes Horizon in a local shop for £40.
What a difference. The next day we did a 50 mile run, and his subsequent holidays were cycle camping.
The right bike absolutely revolutionised his cycling experience and his life.

Back