The lad wanted a bike, so he's getting this! Saracen content

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So here's the story, my nephew (14 1/2 years old, from herein known as 'the lad') used to be really into his road riding with my Dad, his Grandad, but then he became a teenager and discovered the F word.....football! :shock:

Fast forward a year or so and it's the summer hols, his mates have all got bikes and they've discovered some jumps in the woods and how to skid/wheelie... So the lad is borrowing my Dad's retro Spesh and burning through rear tyres at a rate of knots, plus his sister is just a little miffed as she was using the Spesh to go down the cycle track on, and now her brother has nabbed it!

Anyway, Dad was thinking of picking up something cheap at the car boot, but the days of him getting carbon framed racers for 20 quid are long gone (yes, it really happened) and all the MTB's were cheap tat BSO's...and then I saw Doctorstewie had this for sale on here (Cheers again Stu!) for peanuts, and the bits it was missing I knew I mostly had in the spares boxes, so today it arrived, as per the first couple of pics, with extras that weren't in the original ad :mrgreen:

The Kona stem and Titec bars I wanted for myself, so I swapped them out for bits from the boxes, and a few other things got changed around, or will be changed, and despite an unbelievably painful bad back, I managed to get this far today...

Lets hope the lad likes it! Feel it's a shame this is just not quite in the 'retro' category, surely it's a pretty radical and classic design, and if it had been 2 sizes smaller, I would have kept it, no question. I should add that all my family apart from me are 6', so even for a play bike, it had to be fairly large!!

Attachments

• Joel's Saracen 005.JPG
    Joel's Saracen 005.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 711
  • Joel's Saracen 004.JPG
    Joel's Saracen 004.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 711
  • Joel's Saracen 003.JPG
    Joel's Saracen 003.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 711
  • Joel's Saracen 002.JPG
    Joel's Saracen 002.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 711
  • Joel's Saracen 001.JPG
    Joel's Saracen 001.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 711
Sweeet !! , your lad is going to love that when it's sorted and i supose the Specialize will require some tlc before your daughter gets to use it again ..

Muddy paw":2t9pokob said:
Sweeet !! , your lad is going to love that when it's sorted and i supose the Specialize will require some tlc before your daughter gets to use it again ..

lol, not my two, it's my sister's two kids, my nephew and niece.... Think Dad can sort the Specialized, he's as much of a cycle mechanic as me, taught me most of what I know anyway! He's just seen some pics of the Saracen, so he's pretty chuffed, gone off with a shopping list of the last few bits we need....

:shock: :shock: You did that while Satan was playing with your spinal cord?
Those bars and stem set it off dead well too: the lad's lucky to have such a capable Auntie.

doctorstewie":1z9cmbnh said:
:shock: :shock: You did that while Satan was playing with your spinal cord?
Those bars and stem set it off dead well too: the lad's lucky to have such a capable Auntie.

:LOL: :LOL: Paying for it now though....never knew pain could be so exhausting!

Had to change the headset for a lower stack one so could get that stem on, now can't get headset tension right :facepalm:

But there was no way he was having that little Kona stem :twisted:

Oh yes! unfortunately pain if strong enough it can leave you feeling drained for weeks as i found out back in 1990 after being hit by a car and i couldn't walk properly for three weeks due to pain and discomfort caused by severe bruisng down my back and left leg .

I have to agree with doctorstewie as you shouldn't really be doing jobs like that while being in such pain but i guess i'd be just as guilty in your shoes so i better not say any more ;) ..

Back