The Kitbag....

Re:

cheers Rob, more like tiresome and laboured no doubt!, but it's a great mat...can't recommend it enough.

Just a thought from today: I didn't have anything planned as I was up till X in the morning watching the boxing but got a text from a friend asking whether I wanted a spin out in his new motor, we ended up over in Ambleside. Is it just me or have you got some of your favourite outdoor gear from a charity shop?

Today I scored:
A Snugpak Softie sleeping bag: £5 - Age-Concern.
My mate:
A 90's pair of Berghaus Gore-tex salopettes: £35- Oxfam.
Some primaloft Lowe Alpine base layer bottoms: £5 - Age-Concern.
A khaki Rohan shirt: £7 - Age-Concern.

Buying these items reminded me the amount of stuff I've got from car boots, charity shops and jumble sales. I've gathered, some Buffalo salopettes, Grivel crampons, a Rab fleece, a Mountain Hardware shirt, some Rohan trousers and shorts, a brand new pair of Kayland approach shoes, a Mountain equipment waterproof and much, much more... And each item has been bought for under 40 quid...

Everything I've listed has been bought from one shop... Oxfam Keswick. And there's loads more stuff I could have got, they even had a pair of La Sportiva trango's in last month for £45 in good used condition! My mate and parents have had loads of bargains there also.

If you're doing outdoors on a budget go to a charity shop in a popular place for walkers and climbers (Ambleside, Keswick, Kendal) before you go into mountain warehouse and fork out £50 for a jacket made of material with the breathability of a bin bag. There's some real bargains to be had!

My local Oxfam had a used Mammut softshell for £120!!! In Durham the Oxfam is a "Oxfam Boutique" and they sell stuff at extortionate prices and have very little decent items...

I often go to Keswick a couple of times a year and there always is a stock of stuff including camera equipment, cycling books and magazines, I got 25 issues of MBUK from 05/06 for £15. They also have loads of ski equipment. If you ever pass by it's certainly worth a look.

Back