The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there folks. I've been browsing the site for a while but now signed up. This place could get dangerous for my wallet :LOL:

I'm from the North East of Scotland (near Aberdeen) and I've been lucky enought to have some of the best trails on my doorstep. My MTB history goes back to October 1984 by which time I'd saved up enough cash from my paper round and "tattie picking" to buy a 15 speed Raleigh Maverick for 175 quid. Within the first few days I knew I'd gotten into something special. I then went through the following bikes.........

1987/88 - Falcon Everest (far too big)

1988 - Muddy Fox Courier Comp

1990 - Giant Coldrock

1991 - Raleigh Summit

1993 - Stumpjumper with RC35's

1995 - Diamondback X-Link with RC35's

1996 - Diamondback Axis

2000 - Rocky Mountain Switch full suss

2003 - Yeti ASX

2005 - Voodoo Bizango

I still have the Yeti and the Voodoo but the rest all got sold on. Only the olive green Stumpy is missed so I've kinda been looking at getting another but I'm also looking at few other possibilities for a retro build.
I raced briefly in the early 90's but my offshore career soon put paid to my fitness levels.

That's about it really without getting too boring so looking forward to spending time on here.

Cheers
Paul

I was directed to this site by a mate.

I've recently dug my '94 Clockwork out of the garage, and now ride most weekends over at Llandegla Forest.

Pics of my trusty steed below:

Thought the site might be a mine of knowledge and cool pictures (and it is!)

Guess i'm quite young but i first lusted after a Gold kona cindercone of a bout '94 vintage, had a pot to put my cash in but never had enough for one. Instead i bought a raleigh from the local village summer fair for about £5. it served me well for a year and then became a welding trainer as i bent first the forks, then the dropouts and finally the forks again. I love the look of the skinny bikes like the mountain goat but never knew of them at the time. I'd love a old Voodoo Canzo (for some reason) and i'm in the process of building a couple of old kona's.

Chris

Hello all,

I'm Johnny, like yetiman i'm also from Aberdeenshire.

I got in to mountain biking properly around 1993 when I used to thrash my Trek 800.
When that was wrecked I got a cheap Trek 850 (with Quadra 5s) which was quickly stolen!

With the insurance money, £600 (twice what I paid for the 850), I bought an Orange Clockwork in fluorecent orange - never seen another one this colour...

I spent a lot of money on that bike, making it as light as possible with Hope hubs etc - it was my pride and joy!

The Clockwork lasted a few years despite a sizable dent in the downtube but was eventually replaced with a Viper Red Cannondale Super-V 'Missy Giove Signature Model' (carbon swingarm).

I spent a lot on the Super-V too. Replacing the Headshox with Judy DHs and eventually Bomber Z1s amongst other stuff.

I was forced to sell the Super-V frame to help fund my first car but I still have most of the parts which have been transplanted on to my current HSW Popcorn Blizzard (remember them?).

I've not ridden for a while to be honest but i'm going to give the HSW a good service and get back out on it.
I'm wanting to find a nice project for the Spring too...
:D

Hello to everybody.

Firstable it's such amazing to find this forum within almost
what i want to know about my " best mountain bike years " during
my teenager time.

Rided bikes :
all between 1990 / 1995
Cannondale SM1000 (grey frame)
Marin Team Edition (Titanium color frame)
GT RTS-2

My best forks :
First Manitou
Incredible ProStop SUSPENDER.

now i'm only use my bike as working transport....

more human infos
Male, 33, Paris (FRANCE), 2 children
more about me and my artistik activities

>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwork/

peace to all

hello
I'm bomfull from france. I read this forum since a few weeks, know it thanks to cchris2lou and the sk1design website.
rider since 1988, my first mtb where gitane and peugeot; then a trek singletrack 970, (payed with my first job!!), a stumpjumper , cannondale f700 in 1995, titanium frame for a few months, waitngs for my Moonshot frame. Since , I ride yet the most of time with my wife on tandem( Follis)

Hi guys, just thought I'd introduce myself as a newbie here. I found the link on the Pistonheads forum and was amazed at the interesting info available. I didn't realise there were so many classic mtb's still about. For me I've got a Alpinestars Almega of uncertain vintage that I bought out of the Freeads a few years ago for £35. It was just the bare frame which I transfered all the components off the bike I had at the time. Since then I've worn out and replaced just about everything and tried to use period bits where possible but really it's just meant to be riden. Looking forward to joning in the chat. :D

Celebrity Big Bother!

Can we get the FlyingWelshman reunited with an Alpinestars Ti for the SSMM Retrobike Team...??!!

Can you imagine the double takes around the paddock!!

:shock: :cool:

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back