The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

They are genuinely mad speakers. Very efficient, amazing soundstage but squawk a bit due to the paper drivers getting so old. My set need a lot of work.

More 1970's 'madness' my old Lecson and Quad bits side by side showing the completely different approach to design (and an LS 3/5a sneaking in)

file.php

legrandefromage":1v6ew7pn said:
Reminds me, I still have these squirrelled away in LGF towers

Almost as equally daft

565221-goodmans_dimension_8_speakers.jpg

Oooh Goodmans dimension 8's, more drivers than Nascar.

Had a pair of those years ago lovely things driven from the right amp. Were your pair always white? Most were teak although I know Goodmans did like white stuff, I had a Lenco GL75 in a Goodmans plinth that was white a while ago as well.

Have the electrolytic caps in the crossovers been replaced? If not its worth doing and your ears will thanks you.

legrandefromage":1bjkx3qu said:
Yeah well you like valves so all credibility is instantly lost.

Ner.

My stacks biggerererer than yours anyway

file.php

Ha Ha, impressive speaker over usage, well mines wider than yours and girth is important.

And someone who thinks valves aren't credible? Each to their own I suppose, you're wrong of course but each to their own. :?

Attachments

• hifi sml.JPG
    hifi sml.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 1,425
legrandefromage":2bzlfy7k said:
They are genuinely mad speakers. Very efficient, amazing soundstage but squawk a bit due to the paper drivers getting so old. My set need a lot of work.

More 1970's 'madness' my old Lecson and Quad bits side by side showing the completely different approach to design (and an LS 3/5a sneaking in)

file.php

All the Quad bits still working ok? They still do superb work when it comes to servicing an repair. And I love a Lecson, have you got the power amp to go with it?

I did have a similar load of kit as my computer system (Quad 33, Quad FM2 and 2 Quad 303's as bi amped monoblocks driving Harbeth LS 3/5a's) up until recently but took it out to service the 303's and I still haven't got round to it so for now its all British cottage industry (apart from the Teac minidisc and sorry about the crap picture) Kinshaw Perception pre amp, Kinshaw Overture Dac, Inca Tech IT200 monoblocks and a Musical Fidelity XLP-S which is hidden under the desk along with my disco under the desk turntable which is another British made thing a LAD GAJ828P which was the sonically superior but not as battleship strong alternative to the ubiquitous Technics SL1200 in the late 80's

Attachments

• comp sml.JPG
    comp sml.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,422
  • LAD sml.JPG
    LAD sml.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,422
legrandefromage":3bldkkkq said:
I just dont do valves. I used to work for a few hifi companies over the years and learnt why and how things work as they do and valves just dont come into it.

My last bit of valve equipment was this, used by some unknown 60's group going by the silly name of the Quarrymen...

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/selmer/early/pa.html

Very nice, I admire the engineering in those early Hofner PA amps but they're a bit early for me really.

As I say each to their own, the first time I heard valves I was hooked and like all technologies we didn't get the best from them when they were the norm.

I'm an electronic engineer by trade so fully understand all the engineering behind all of it but nothing I've heard thus far has convinced me to ditch my valves even though the engineer in me understands the technology is ultimately flawed.

Music should always be subjective but a lot of people will buy and then try and justify an expensive purchase because its a) cost them a lot of money b) the salesman said it was better than their mates c) a magazine review said it was the dogs or d) a combination of a), b), and c)

The most apt quote I have on hifi is that at the high end (which is actually lower than the salesmen and magazines) it's not a matter of better or worse, it's just different and it's which different you prefer.

Re:

Treated my trusty LP12 to a full dealer service, new limited edition plinth, new kore subchassis and stylus. Can't believe how good it sounds, its transformed it!

Attachments

• IMG_3709.JPG
    IMG_3709.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 1,389
legrandefromage":10b6dxr2 said:
Valves and minidisk....

<walks away shaking head very slowly>

:LOL:

No valves in that system silly, that's all transistor British cottage industry amplification made by a bearded man in shed at it's very best (apart from the teac minidisc obvs). Mind you have a you heard a Minidisc through valve amplification? It sounds surprisingly good for such a compressed medium.

You do need to get over this valve hate though and open your ears, Most music and audio people I know who don't like the sound of valves tend to be salesman who have been primed to discount all previous technology and push the latest and greatest eye wateringly expensive thing you didn't know you needed. That and those who haven't heard them yet.

Back