The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

I missed a broken Quad 33 on eBay tonight for £40 BiN!

Newly listed, by the time I'd got to paypal to pay, it had been bought by someone else. Bound to be an easy fix - not much to go wrong - and in working order they dont go for less than £150. Gutted!

Still cant believe what it goes for.

Good news. The Lecson should be in my ownership this week rather than selling on behalf so that can be repaired as and when.

Nice - I still reckon pre / power in boxes and unused will easy fetch a grand on the right day.

Send it over when you're ready chap.

I'm still looking for top notch Sansui amps, though they seem to go for mental money! Managed to net a few turntables recently. Tatty ones but cleaning up / repairing really well. Recently got a Pioneer direct drive similar to a decent Technics with a fault that it's 'noisy'. Bit of bearing oil, all sorted! Needs a damn good clean then it'll be a nice deck for someone. I'm forever impressed by the late 70s / early 80s jap direct drive TTs. Great build quality and a fraction of the price of the British superdeck of the time - but hey, fashion is a powerful thing eh?

I have the Technics SL-1410II to play with. Very nice build.

Next to play with is an 'old' Yamaha MCX-1000 MusicCast system. Wireless hifi around the house via MP3 with 'proper' hifi PCM and an teeny 80gb HDD. Found down the tip with just the remote missing. The project is to get a 1tb HDD in there. The internet says it is supported so that is what I am going to try and do.

Got my first LP for I have no idea how many years through the post today. Bruce Springsteins Tunnel of Love, even on my poorly set up set up its sounding a whole load nicer than the downloaded version.

wot you got playing it Mr K? I never dipped my toe in the LP world BITD (so no emotional connection unlike CD's) however I did once hear a Linn LP12? / valve amp and mision floorstanders set up and it did sound rather nice- led zep IIRC.

I've a Project Debut II playing through a Marantz PM4400 and MS 5.1 speakers. The turntable is sat on the amp which is on an Ikea table, one speaker is sat on top of the printer and another on top of 4 cardboard boxes. So some set up improvements are there :LOL: .

:LOL: :LOL:

does sound like the basis of a good system but make sure you put some sand in the printer and cardboard boxes to help focus the bass response ;)

Morven has let me rearrange the furniture in the front room around the speakers which I was really surprised about but not complaining- place looks shite but it does sound much better. :twisted:

Only if it's a Naim printer - and only then if it can only print B&W, and only one page a minute. Less is more dontcha know.

Back