The Girlfriend's Retro Turner

Well it certainly an interesting build and looks good.

Seems like a bit of a backward step though putting a crappy fork and canti brakes on a 2001-02 frame which was one of the best frames in its day.

I think you'll find that your girl will love you more if you put some new dics and a Fox F series fork on there and allow the bike to used to its full potential.

Oh and if thats a bolt of rear disc mount, as its not in use would you be interested in parting with it ;)

I knew it would offend your fine Turner taste, andrew! I was riding this with proper kit on until last year and then I got a custom seven and transfered all the kit over, so this is a real 'parts bin special'. Chances are as she gets into it we can start getting the parts back up to spec (although, strangely the front and rear feel quite well matched, mind you I'd love to try the judys with a set of englund carts to match the sid rear).

and it is a bolt on disc thing, but I couldn't possibly part with it if I've got all this upgrading to do, now could I!

pete_mcc":277spi56 said:
Strict criteria apply here...........

Transvestite.jpg

I think you'll find that I'm ticking all the boxes...............

pete_mcc":4983h22x said:
I knew it would offend your fine Turner taste, andrew!

Not offended at all (or offence itended either), the bike looks great with the red and polished bits, I just feel the mid 90s technology holds the bike back a bit, and cantis don't inspire confidence in lesser riders.

Newer components which flatter the riders ability (something which Turner frames are known to do) may also get your girl even more interested in joining you for a ride too - assuming that's something you want. :)

You don't have to worry about cantis and stopping power - I live in Cambridge, the nearest hill is about 100 miles away! I know this is going to sound awful but in the short term until she's really into cycling it's all country lanes and parks, no real off roading. The big thing for her is that we've been able to get rid of that 40lb monster she used to have, £100 of pure shitty steel. She's really in love with the look of the bike which is tick number one, the gears shift properly, and the brakes do really work (especially in comparison to the old bikes), and the saddle is actually designed for a girl!

As and when it'll be upgrade city (introducing her to the best part of this 'sport')

I know you'll agree that the bike's better off under her bum than hanging up in the shed - no turner should suffer that fate!!

pete_mcc":86pd1832 said:
....than hanging up in the shed - no turner should suffer that fate!!

Sounds like i need to finish some of my Turner projects and get them back on the trails... :oops:

Back