The eternal sunshine of the spotless parts cupboard.

About 6 months ago I had a nasty tumble all because of too much bike stuff....yeah too much!
Fingers round spokes,dropouts in shins,head on frame.....forks falling off walls...🙄 Proper big clanger ! it knocked sense into me! It does happen ...that moment of ..ENOUGH..🤨I called it critical mass moment..the stage when it implodes on you. Since then Ive bought nothing other than a chain and sprocket, but I've sold 4 full bikes about 15 frames or more and cleared around ten Tesco boxes of "stuff". Uttey Liberating! Do I miss any of it ....nope..well just one bike!
I even loaded up my mot failure dead golf with stuff and drove it to weigh in for scrap 😂
Now....my faves are all in a safe spaces....no overlapping handle bars .. some on walls... uncluttered!
My shed of abandoned dreams is now the shed of resurected dreams!
My "pleasure room" is near spotless...infact I'm gonna repaint it soon. All cupboards are nearly empty...

It feels great and you know what I actually think I can in a controlled fashion turn the magnet back on soon

@Joe*Pro Its called a carpenters box.....everybody had one back in the day before plastic tool boxes!

As for Mr Raidan.....JDI. maybe this is the life changing moment! All joking aside, im so much happier about the hobby now.....im not pressured by the " stuff", ive made a few peoples day by releasing bits into the community and im actually riding far more rather than kinda aimless pottering achieving nothing!

The majority of my parts storage issues were resolved when I spotted this old ‘pigeon hole’ wall unit on eBay;
431829A7-DAC1-40A4-96BD-C4C74B8F5857.jpeg
Bought it and commissioned my Dad to make boxes for each hole, then rotated it;
012906FB-8057-437C-BCEA-8CC190FD5E12.jpeg

…adapted my work bench to accommodate it;
DD65552C-091A-46F7-9E52-C2D47DC122D4.jpeg

…then got the wife to help ‘finesse’ the appearance and add some labels;
B5A6CC8A-758D-4475-9723-1DCF39424233.jpeg

It doesn’t quite fit everything (bars and forks for instance), but no more sorting through random boxes for small parts! :cool:

The majority of my parts storage issues were resolved when I spotted this old ‘pigeon hole’ wall unit on eBay;
View attachment 637587
Bought it and commissioned my Dad to make boxes for each hole, then rotated it;
View attachment 637588

…adapted my work bench to accommodate it;
View attachment 637590

…then got the wife to help ‘finesse’ the appearance and add some labels;
View attachment 637591

It doesn’t quite fit everything (bars and forks for instance), but no more sorting through random boxes for small parts! :cool:
That’s awesome!

About 20 years ago we cleared out an old engineering company we bought out lockstock.....we must have thrown away hundreds of those metal cupboards, operators stools, lamps....

Now i see them in antique shops for hundreds!

That’s awesome!
Cheers! I'd been looking for something like it for ages but they were generally always too small - this was spot on to fit under the bench, only had to move the legs slightly further out 😬

About 20 years ago we cleared out an old engineering company we bought out lockstock.....we must have thrown away hundreds of those metal cupboards, operators stools, lamps....

Think I got in quick before a dealer bought it, added wheels, a granite top, glass doors, rebranded it 'a mid century industrial wine cabinet' and added a couple of zeros to the asking price!

Last edited:

At one point my old man had nearly 50 guys working for him,every man had his bench his stool,locker,pigeon holes...I reckon nowadays that lot would be worth more than the
1000 tons of machinery that was in the workshop...nuts!

Im pleased to so many people taking control of their issues and making the first steps to recovery.

Its heartening and to see so many new " for sale" posts starting "following a decision to clear out the shed"......

It also lovley to see pictures of sheds that are both a joy behold and equally some that represent a problem to be shared......take strength from both.

Thanks to everybody who has supported this group and by proxy those living with this crippling addiction....

To those who have already started just remember "one day at a time".

For those you you still struggling, why not make today your first day....

Be strong guys.

Back