The eternal sunshine of the spotless parts cupboard.

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Space......the final frontier......these are the voyages of the parts ship Tootyred, its 4 year mission, to boldly go where nobody has gone......for at least a good while.......well the back of the shed.

Its taken 4 years, but its nearly all gone. Starting with the stuff i didn't like and cant remember how i got, moving to stuff i would never use, then being realistic about my needs......Im now down to 3 plastic tubs...everything boxed and protected....everything labelled.

I can tell you its quite a relief. 30+ years of accumulated bike parts gone.....well almost, there's some boxes of stuff for the bike charity and a rouge bike.....

It's very freeing, both room wise and physiologically. Im not so distracted every time i go in the shed, im more focused on what im building and im riding more.

The bonus has been having the cash in these increasingly hard times to actually finish the projects im really engaged with, how i want to finish them.

Fantastic.....

So as its i nice sunny day, why not empty the shed ( after going for a ride of course), sell the stuff you dont want, make somebody else's day whos been looking for that "left handed widget driver", make some dollar and most importantly spend it immediately on more parts.........

Free your mind.....the rest will follow.

Namaste.

Last edited:
Surely you need another bike or two for all those parts you still have, assuming they all fit, if not you need more parts, the circle continues :D

Most now are spares for the existing bikes....spare derailleur here, spare shifter there, spare shed full of stuff...NO NO MUST RESIST,!

Maybe its just me, but i find owning stuff quite....claustrophobic.....if you get what im saying.

I downsized.....that started the clearout.....the dorris and I got rid of piles of stuff, furniture and more stuff.......and it is just stuff.

Now we have less, we appreciate what we have more......same here.

Space......the final frontier......these are the voyages of the parts ship Tootyred, its 4 year mission, to boldly go where nobody has gone......for at least a good while.......well the back of the shed.

Its taken 4 years, but its nearly all gone. Starting with the stuff i didn't like and cant remember how i got, moving to stuff i would never use, then being realistic about my needs......Im now down to 3 plastic tubs...everything boxed and protected....everything labelled.

I can tell you its quite a relief. 30+ years of accumulated bike parts gone.....well almost, there's some boxes of stuff for the bike charity and a rouge bike.....

It's very freeing, both room wise and physiologically. Im not so distracted every time i go in the shed, im more focused on what im building and im riding more.

The bonus has been having the cash in these increasingly hard times to actually finish the projects im really engaged with, how i want to finish them.

Fantastic.....

So as its i nice sunny day, why not empty the shed ( after going for a ride of course), sell the stuff you dont want, make somebody else's day whos been looking for that "left handed widget driver", make some dollar and most importantly spend it immediately on more parts.........

Free your mind.....the rest will follow.

Namaste.
I'm hoping to do something similar to the man cave throughout this Spring and Summer - but maybe with a different approach. Rather than trying to sell cheaply or even karma those less desirable items I'll probably just throw them away. Seems a shame but it can take an age to actually give stuff away for free.

I'm hoping to do something similar to the man cave throughout this Spring and Summer - but maybe with a different approach. Rather than trying to sell cheaply or even karma those less desirable items I'll probably just throw them away. Seems a shame but it can take an age to actually give stuff away for free.

or you could take them to a local bike project charity!?

Back