The earliest Pace RC35

Re:

The first production Pace suspension forks were actually sold as a pair of boingy leg assemblies designed to fit the RC30 crown & replace the rigid legs that were the original Pace fork design before suspension arrived on the scene.
The legs came as a kit with instructions to assemble them into a fork. The carbons were the 'prominent step' type kevlar weave with the chunky dropouts and bolted-on tubular black painted bridge. The brace was fitted with a pulley to provide the cable connection to the cantilever brakes via a bolted tubular fitting[pre 'Rocker']
Forks were, or are commonly called 'pre-production' as they were not strictly available from the factory as a complete assembly but were sold as an add-on for your Pace bike or RC30 fork.
This was all around 1992 time as far as I can find out. The complete RC35 fork was then made available and came in the big clear plastic box.
These forks had the coarse kevlar weave carbon with the prominent step in the outside diameter. The canti mounts were bonded on and have often been replaced by the band-on later type as they were notorious for pinging off under pressure from the brake. The decals were the block PACE logo with a script 'Racing' in pink on a black background but produced on a [now unavailable] 'defractive' purple base colour.

Re:

The set in your pictures Jez seem to be a fairly original set of the first available 'complete' forks sold in the big plastic boxes. Note the label on the crown.

Interesting enough I have the stupid pulley thing too which must have been the precursor to the rocker.

I better salvage that and the strange tubular connection to it . God knows how that worked.

Re:

I’ve got quite an early set as well. Maybe early 92 they were bought. Sadly the decals were removed a while ago.

I was still using these until a couple of years ago when I realised there was no travel in them at all.

Awaiting restoration.

Re:

Jez, those look the same as my first gen kit ones, tick all the boxes; rough, stepped kevlar, black hoop, daft roller, bonded brake, shiny decals. The roller works in the same way as the original Force 40 roller:

SE1000Fork.JPG

Back